Join our investing community

Is RG 146 enough to start work in the financial sector

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by Mesba, 28th Apr, 2009.

1. Mesba

Mesba New Member

Hi everyone,

I am new here. just discovered the site and found plenty of interesting post and feedback that really helpful.

I am pretty much interested about the financial sector, sepecially about the share market, and would like to move. I want to study any related course. Is RG 146 enough to start work in this sector or should I go for Dip in Financial Service?

Any feedback regarding course, course provider and the possible outcomes will be much appriciated.

Mesba

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Mesba,

Diploma of Financial Services (Financial Planning) is generally RG146 in the following advice streams Generic, Insurance, Superannuation and Investments.

I would suggest at least two streams would be the minimum you would want to do before approaching an employer in our recession. Obviously individual employers may be looking for less or more. Jobs in share markets are especially tough at the moment as alot of brokers have struggled and laid staff off, you may be better off looking at an employer who gives a more rounded financial services offering to customers/clients.

Cheers,

Dan

3. Mesba

Mesba New Member

Thanks

Hi Dan,

Nice to hear from you. I probably go with Kaplan and do the DFP. Thanks for your valuable opinion about the job market of stockBroker. yea its very tough to secure any job in this recession time even an entry level. Do you think Job market of FP (entrylevel ie, Planner's assistant or Para Planner) is still bit better...

Mesba

Last edited by a moderator: 30th Apr, 2009
  4. Young Gun

Young Gun Guest

I'd try to get a foot in the door by starting off as a paraplanner, if you can't get a job as a FP. Its good technical on the job training for a FP.

5. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Mesba,

As Young Gun said either a paraplanner or customer service role is the best start to get experience.

Cheers,

Dan

PS Kaplan don't offer a DFP, they offer a DFS and ADFS.

6. alfredbird

alfredbird Member

paraplanner is a good starting point in FP area, I understand that. but what kind of position can be called as a customer service role?

I am learning DFS and plan to look for a job late this year.

Alfred