Join our investing community

Is the Pedia useful

Discussion in 'Help & Feedback' started by Simon Hampel, 5th Jan, 2006.

?

Is the Pedia a useful addition to the site ?

1. Yes it's awesome - I'll be contributing

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Yes it's great - but I'm scared to contribute

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Yes it's very good - I'll definitely get use out of it

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Yes it's good - but I don't think it's useful to me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes it's good - but I don't think members should contribute

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. It's okay - good concept, but I'm not convinced

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  7. I don't think it's going to be useful at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I hate it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I'd rather something like this was done as a separate project to InvestEd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. What's a Pedia ?

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

I note that there hasn't been terribly much comment on the Pedia.

The intention was that this would be a resource that we could all contribute to for the greater good of the community.

Comments ?

2. HHH

HHH Active Member

Hi Sim

It is probably me, but I cannot work out how to use or look at it.
    Everytime I try to access something, it takes me to an error page. As far I can tell, you need special log in access and is currently only available for editing??

3. Simon Hampel

Is that every page, or just some pages (the one's with red links) ?

I'm wondering whether I've made it too confusing by putting in lots of links to things that don't exist yet. They are mostly there as a prompt to people to go and put their own stuff in. Perhaps that's not ideal for our purposes.

4. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

G'day Sim'

Just had my first look at it.

Selected 'random page'

It brought up 'saving' with 2 options 'pay yourself first' and 'debt reduction strategies'

There was nothing in either of these 2 selections yet.

Normally that would be where I would stop looking and backpeddle to where I came from.

It looks like it has enormous potential but isn't ready yet.

You say they are a prompt for people to put information in, but it looks a bit formal for the average joe to be launching into with advice that they may not be qualified to give??? That's to say it looks like it's set up to give advice rather then general discussion.
    That's just my opinion.

5. Simon Hampel

Thanks Rick.

It does certainly have the feel of "not ready yet" doesn't it. But then, that's kind of the point of the feature - it's never finished.

It also takes a heck of a lot of effort to put together ... if we were to take it offline - work on it ourselves, and then launch it when it was more "ready", it would be literally years before we had it (unless I could get some of those one million monkeys at one million keyboards, once they have finished creating the entire works of Shakespeare :D )

I'll have to rethink it a bit.

It certainly isn't intended to be an "advice" area - just an "information" area - defining concepts rather than suggesting strategies.

6. HHH

HHH Active Member

Hi Sim, again it is probably me, but it seems like every page. I have been unable to find one single page with information I can view. Maybe you could provide a link to one that works so I can check it out?

7. Simon Hampel

8. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Sim I think the wiki will really struggle with so few contributing 'expert' members here. It's a shame, because I know how good wiki's can be, but I don't think there are too many members here that would feel comfortable bulking it up.

9. Simon Hampel

Do you think it would be better as a separate project Glebe ?

10. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. A separate project for who? For yourself and Nigel and co, naah you guys are too busy! What I would like to see if some of Steve Navra's Optimised Investment Structure and Living off Equity stuff and Nick M's trust stuff put online.

11. Simon Hampel

Glebe - how would you like to see that material presented ? In article form like we already use in the education section ? Some other method perhaps ?

12. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

I think the articles (under education) are the best place for detailed information like Steve's series on LOE. I tend to think of the Pedia as more of a dictionary, with defintions for each subject and maybe a paragraph or two of information not detailed examples, documents, etc.

13. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Jscott,
    Good idea. :)

14. Simon Hampel

That's what I'm thinking too, j.

Just FYI - I'm currently planning what I call the "Big Upgrade" - moving the forum to vBulletin v3.5.x ... which unfortunately (for me) means a major rework of the entire site. It will be worth the effort though, because future software upgrades should be much easier to apply with this new version.

I'm also taking the opportunity to ponder how well various features have worked over the last 6 months, and I'm planning some pretty major changes to the way we do things. The basic concept will still be the same - articles, forums, lots of useful information, etc ... - I'm just redesigning the interface now that we've seen what works and what doesn't.

I'm thinking of separating the Pedia glossary section from the rest of the pedia and making two separate features - the glossary (which anyone will be able to view), and then a completely separate FAQs and Resources feature (still Wiki based most likely) that will be for members only. As we get more and more articles online, I'll start to use the resources section to build indexes and summary pages linking all the articles together - this will eventually lead to education roadmaps and such.

Oh yeah, I'll also tidy up the glossary section so that there's not so many empty links ... too confusing for most people. Once I'm happy with the new site design I will focus on making sure we are creating as much great content for all the site features as we can.

Any more suggestions will be most welcome.