Jenman

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 15th Jun, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Interesting article in yesterday's SMH about Neil Jenman and his past. I actually didn't know the following:

"In 1993, Neil Jenman set himself a challenge. The real estate consumer advocate wanted to see if he could make $1 million in one week. So he organised a five-day real estate training seminar at Sanctuary Cove, charging $10,000 a head, and sold 118 tickets"

Wow! Wouldn't have been one of the cheaper courses around at the time :eek: Guess I was lucky, then, to pick up all the audios from this course at my local library sale a few yrs ago for $1 :D

The article goes on to discuss his epiphany from the realisation of the making of excess money :D and how he was inspired by the writings of the doctrine of Enough, a theory developed by the British management theorist Charles Handy on how making more and more money is not the key to personal fulfilment.

2. Jenny__

Jenny__ Well-Known Member

Neil Jenman - who is this guy?? Should I know about him? Is he still prominent or has he settled into enoughness?

Jenny

3. Medine

Medine Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque,

Did the tapes sound like there was $10,000 of value at the seminar? Very impressive example of energy following thought!!

Hi Jenny,

Neil Jenman started a philosophy of "ethical" real estate agents (and, of course, charged a franchise fee for this!!) in the 1990s, when auctions were becoming popular. One of their basic philosophys was to offer homes for private sale only. I never used them, but had some clients who did and felt that they had varied success.

Cheers, Medine

4. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

From what I have seen of him, his initial intentions may have been well-founded, considering some of the scams involving property in the deep dark past. Reading his stuff really struck a cord in the early 90's (ish, if I remember rightly) when it was really hard turning over anything for a decent price.

These days, every now and then a 'quality' current affairs show or two (choke) needing some scare value wheels him out to wax lyrical about how completely underhanded the entire property industry is. I think his rhetoric might have got a bit trodden on by the property boom :p - sellers having to pay $300 too much advertising probably don't care so much when they are making 300% capital gain :)

Cheers
    Carl

PS * edit * oops sorry just read Medine's post properly - it was the early 1990's then :)

5. shake-the-disease

shake-the-disease Well-Known Member

I recently sold my PPOR. During the time we were interviewing and selecting an agent, we interviewed a local Jenman agent. It was an experience I'll never repeat nor forget. Let's just say I found it difficult to get them out of my house. My house ended up being sold for $180k more (obviously through a different agency) than the Jenmans agents suggested initial asking price.

I'll let you join the dots on what their tactics and ethics truely are.

6. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Jenman has got famous trading on the average persons fear of Real Estate Agents. We all know someone who has a story. He seems to have dropped from public sight lately.

Bit like Pauline Hansen traded on the unspoken xenophobia of the average Queenslander - please explain?

After Jenman pilloried two lovely friends of mine he has lost any respect I may have had. These two are the kindest folks you could meet yet he made them into monsters.