Join our investing community

Just Joined InvestEd

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by GregR, 13th Jul, 2009.

1. GregR

GregR Reid Consultants

G'day to the investors.
    My name is Greg Reid, I am a finance strategist and mortgage broker and came across this site as I was doing some research for a client (still haven't found the exact answer - a clients accountant gave some tax advice I think is just wrong - wage earner 'buying' own home from partner and then refinancing that home, turn it into an IP and use the funds to buy another home to live in - he suggested the new borrowing was tax deductible).

I help people with finance concentrating on just two areas, strategies for the multiple property investor to create long term wealth safely and securely and I help seniors (over 60) look at their financial options using a reverse mortgage. One is an interest, the other is more of a service needed in the community.

I am an investor myself with a number of IP's, so the strategies I discuss, I use myself. I am based in Williamstown Vic. I am always interested in learning more to assist myself and my clients.

You can learn more of what I do and qualifications if interested, Reid Consultants | Mortgage broker, Williamstown, Melbourne, home loans, commercial finance, reverse mortgages, seniors
    I look forward to joining in the discussions.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Welcome Greg, great to have you here.

My thoughts on the scenario (I am not a tax expert or accountant - just my non-professional opinion):

1. PPOR owned by spouse A
    2. Spouse B purchases property at market rates with new finance, pays stamp duty etc
    3. PPOR becomes IP, interest on loan deducted

... I think that scenario is reasonable from a tax perspective. However, that is not exactly what you described?

Perhaps you need to give a few more details so we can consider the scenario:

- what was the original ownership? One spouse only? TiC ? JT ? % ?
    - is the sale between spouses at arms length? (market price with stamp duty paid etc)
    - does the refinance happen as part of the sale, or after the event? Is the original loan paid out as part of the sale?

3. GregR

GregR Reid Consultants

Further Details

- Original ownership is joint tenant (husband and wife 50% each).
    - The sale would be at an arms length price - using an independent valuer.
    - Victoria does not require stamp duty to be paid on a transfer of ownership between spouses, irrespective of a full sale or just a transfer.
    - The refinance would be after the transfer. Existing mortgage around $310k, property value perhaps $1m. The loan would either need to be paid out (if using a different lender) or incorporated into the refinanced amount. Their accountant suggested the client could borrow 80% against the existing property and use it all as an investment loan. They would then take $500k (or so) of it (wife's share) to use to fund their new owner occupier home.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Ahh - much more complicated than my scenario.

I'll have to defer to the resident accountants on this one!