Join our investing community

Just joined

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by alexlee, 25th Jun, 2006.

1. alexlee

alexlee Member

Hello, all. Just joined Invested. I recognise a lot of names on the posts from the Somersoft forum, so there's a weird sense of deja vu.

Just a quick introduction: I'm 29, grew up in Sydney but have been working overseas (Tokyo and London) for the last 6 years. Bought my first IP 6 years ago and now own a couple of IPs.

I'm in a 'holding pattern' right now. Saving money for my PPOR when I come back to Sydney in a few years, and researching places to buy when I come back. Especially interested in Melbourne, and some parts of Sydney.
    Alex

2. TakeStock

TakeStock Well-Known Member

G'day and welcome.

Are you currently in Japan? If so, how was it being an Aussie in Tokyo when Australia defeated Japan in the world cup?;)

Cheers

3. alexlee

alexlee Member

No, I'm currently in London. However, I emailed all my friends in Japan when I found out about the result. They weren't happy........
    Alex

4. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Alexlee and welcome to InvestEd :)
    Have always enjoyed reading your posts and hope to see you contribute more over here as well!
    How did you get started in investing?
    Was there a catalyst or lightbulb moment for you?

5. alexlee

alexlee Member

I don’t think there was a specific lightbulb moment. I developed the desire to invest before I had a strategy. In my late teens I finally figured out the point of money: not only to buy stuff (which is important, of course) but to give you choices. With money, you can choose what you want to do, where you want to live, and most importantly, you DON’T have to do what you don’t want to do.

With that general attitude, I started buying a few shares after I started working. Then in 2000 I went to a property seminar run by one of the property marketing companies. Luckily they were legit (i.e. not 2-tier marketing: they were marketing properties, but at more or less local market price), and I ended up buying a few Brisbane and Perth properties through them over the last couple of years.

I like to think I started in investing from a combination of desire, action (the day I went to that seminar, after work, was VERY cold), and luck (2000 was a great time to buy Brisbane property).
    Alex

6. Giddo

Giddo Active Member

Welcome to this forum Alexlee- I am looking forward to hearing more of the wisdom I have heard already on SS.:)

7. calmone

calmone New Member

New to Forum

Hi all. Home Base is Murrays Bay on Aucklands North Shore, I have been a bit of a property trader and investor over the years,and having just sold my Business I am getting back into it. I have just done the REIQ sales registration course in Brisbane and will be working and investing in both NZ and Brisbane. At the moment I am more of a reader than a poster on Forums and am certainly learning from some very good posters.
    Good Investing Dick.

8. TakeStock

TakeStock Well-Known Member

Hi Calmone. Great to see a bit of semi-international (our Eastern State) blood here. May I ask why you did the real estate course over here? Have you already completed a RE course in NZ?

Cheers

9. calmone

calmone New Member

Hi I did the Queensland course, for two reasons I work as a Buyers Agent for a Brisbane Company in Auckland, and will also spend a portion of the year working in Brisbane. I am not a selling agent in NZ.

10. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Dick
    Nice to have a fellow BA on board. How is business going? Would love to hear more :)

11. calmone

calmone New Member

Hello Jacque I guess that from reading other posts that the Auckland Market is behaving like your City at the moment,with a lot of property especially inner City apartments mainly the smaller ones selling in some cases up to 25% or more below 2003/04 prices. A lot were sold off plans to Australian investors who have suffered in both markets and need to cash up. However the top end of the market is still strong with sale prices increasing every quarter in the better areas. We are not that active at the moment but are looking to ramp up in the next month. Dick