Join our investing community

Just Started

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by midlife, 30th Sep, 2009.

1. midlife

midlife Member

Hi folks, looking at major career change and getting to FP. Am currently completing my assignment for FFP and would like to talk to any others who are at a similar stage or who can offer some help.

Cheers. Ant.

2. Jimm

Jimm Member

Happy to help

hi midlife,

I put my assignment in 9 days ago and am waiting for the results. I am happy to give you my 2 cents worth.

Jimm

3. midlife

midlife Member

Thanks Jimm. Was your CS on Marco?

4. Jimm

Jimm Member

FFP

The one and only Marco Gambotto

5. midlife

midlife Member

Jimm, am thinking I wouldnt change much of the advice given to Marco. Seems fairly reasonable. Went with a growth risk profile due to his age. You?

6. Jimm

Jimm Member

Hi midlife,

I came out with a risk profile of growth as well based on age, lack of investment experience, etc. I included asset allocation tables for Tracy's plan and determined she was a bit light on with growth assets (in favour of defensive). I tweaked the allocations a bit try and change the weightings, but didn't change any strategies or product selections

Jimm

7. chelseaC

chelseaC Member

Hi, everyone. I am currently studying towards DFP in Kaplan. And i am preparing my first subject exam. Is it difficult or not? How should i prepare for it?:confused:

8. Jimm

Jimm Member

Exam tips

Hi chelseaC,

I did my first exam on Friday (FFP) and it went OK. My 2 cents are:

-All of the info is contained in the notes but you need to know your way around and be able to find things quickly

-The time wasn't too tight but I made sure I checked all the answers several times, some of the wording is a bit confusing. I think it pays to double and triple check if you have the time. Don't leave early if you don't have to.

-The practice exam questions on the Kaplan website are really good and are pretty close to the exam questions. There are question sets for FFP and ELC. ELC covers a bit more material but is well worth doing.

-When you do the practice questions I found it really useful to find the answer in the book, even if you know the answer straight away. This helps build familiarity with the layout of the notes, which is probably the key part of passing the exam.

-I printed out a separate copy of the contents pages and stapled them together to make a 'master reference'. This makes finding info quicker than flipping through the chapters in the book. As you work through the practice questions you can then make notes on these pages and highlight the bits that were hard to find. This paid off a couple of times in the exam b/c the practice questions were pretty close to the real thing.

Hope this helps.

Jimm

9. chelseaC

chelseaC Member

Hi Jimm,
    Thanks lot. Your sugeestions are indeed helpful. Yesterday, i also sucessfully passed my FFP exam. And i activiate my RM for my next subject study.

Stay a touch

Many thanks & have a nice day

Chelsea:)

10. da_ragazzo

da_ragazzo Member

I passed my exam too today :)

Damn Chelsea you stole my spot yesterday!! I hope it wasn't the 11:30 one???

11. chelseaC

chelseaC Member

da_ragazzo , you are kidding?! Yeah, i took exam at 11:30 yesterday. Did u also took exam at that time?

12. Salmonpie

Salmonpie New Member

Hey.

Can I ask how many pages your assignments and SOA's ran to?

Cheers

13. chelseaC

chelseaC Member

Salmonpie, you mean the first subject, FFP? 15 pages for answer and 16 for SOA. I just used the template published in the case study of subject notes.

14. da_ragazzo

da_ragazzo Member

no no i tried to get that time but someone booked it...i had to do it weds 11:30 instead :)

15. chelseaC

chelseaC Member

hi, da_ragazzo, hope your exam goes smothly.

16. jd23

jd23 New Member

confused!

Hey there, working on my FFP assignment (Marco). Im not sure if i am doing the wrong thing but i somehow calculated that his net cashflow is a negative balance following the mortgage, car, annual bills, holiday and living expenses. Did you guys calculate the same things or have i done something wrong??

17. Jimm

Jimm Member

Yeah I came up with the same conclusion. Obviously the idea is to make recommendations on to fix this up and it can easily be done by paying off the debt.

18. chelseaC

chelseaC Member

concerning RM

hi, guys,
    I am proceeding to RM. could you give me suggestion about Q5 in assignment, i.e., two available trauma policies and discuss how the definetions of these conditions vary across the two available policies.

I am just jamed here.

thanks lot

19. Jimm

Jimm Member

Hi Chelsea,

I did some research on the web and found two policies, one from Allianz and one from Suncorp (any company will do). The PDS's have all the info you need. I put the four definitions in a table (as an attachment, word for word) and wrote a couple of sentences describing the main differences.

Jimm

20. chelseaC

chelseaC Member

Hi, Jimm,
    Thanks lot. i will try to find two according to your suggestions

have a nice day

Chelsea