Join our investing community

Kaplan Advanced Diploma Financial Planning (new version)

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by krazykakes, 26th Mar, 2012.

1. krazykakes

krazykakes Member

Hi all

i have commenced my Adv Dip with the new subjects (3 subjects/1 exam/2 project/1 oral).

i wanted to know how everyone else is finding this new format?
    also, if anyone has done the Tax & Estate exam, what were your thoughts on closed book? did you find it hard?

any tips on study techniques?

2. NoGuff

NoGuff New Member

Hi,

I have also started the Adv Dip with the new subjects and am about to sit the exam for Tax and Estate planning. I'm not really sure what to expect from the exam as they don't provide practice or past exams for the subject. I hope the questions are based on the review Questions of each subject.
    What did you think of the exam?

3. krazykakes

krazykakes Member

Hi
    I havn't done the exam yet. still reading the material.
    i'm a bit nervous about the exam being closed book. also, not sure if we need to remember off by heart all the CGT Formulas etc.

so far with the material, i feel it has been kind of slap bang put togther with out connecting the bits together. maybe i'm just spoilt from the Diploma having an easy reading style.

apparently the review questions are "practice test questions"...

would love to hear from someone who has done it

4. noble383

noble383 Member

Hi,

I have just done the exam and passed, but it is quite tricky and I guessed a fair few adn got lucky I think.

They go into a lot of detail, to the extent that you need to now key dates so that you can apply the right calculation for that date.

My advice would be to go through the activities and the questions a few times before going for it. I have done them again after my exam just to clarify a few things as I felt I didnt really understand them. I prefer the assignment & exam scenario as it forces you to do some wider reading and helps understanding.

I am just starting Advanced Financial Planning and it looks solid!! 37 pages just to outline what the assignment is....

Let me know when you get there and we can discuss!!!!

Good luck with your exam

5. krazykakes

krazykakes Member

i am so bummed right now.
    all through my first exam sit via internet i had problems with connection and lag with each question. i ended up losing 30mins exam time to waiting for the page to load.

now i just did my resit on the last 2 topics.. on succession assets and succession planning. and i again failed! even my supervisor checked my answers and they've been int he industry for a while.

i am so anoyed.. has anyone else had a problem with passing the last 2 topics?

6. NoGuff

NoGuff New Member

Hi Noble383,

I am also starting on the Advanced Financial Planning project it seems like there is a lot in it, haven't got much done yet but hopefully will get more done this weekend.

Have you heard anything about the Assessment part 2 - the presentation? Not sure where or how they are going to do this.

It would be good to have someone to discuss the projects with.

7. krazykakes

krazykakes Member

Hi NoGuff

How is your Plan going? i'm trying to work out the strategies.

Have you picked a tax effective strategy for Kathy's inheritance?
    to ensure that the inherited funds grow and provide enough for the childrens mortgages once they turn 21?

I was looking at Tax effective Investment Bonds but not sure where to go with it as the kids will be withdrawing in 5 and 7 years.

if anyone else has any tax effective strategies i would love to discuss.

8. Nigey

Nigey New Member

Hi KrazyKakes,

I have a tax effective strategy for Kathys inheritance to raise lump sum deposits for Kathy and Ryans kids and would be willing to discuss in order to discuss other aspects of the assignment with you that I'm struggling with.

my email is aaadddsssfff@hotmail.com

look forward to hearing from you