Join our investing community

Kaplan Masters in Financial Planning

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by kiwimac, 29th Jan, 2017.

1. kiwimac

kiwimac Member

I have just started my study for the Masters. I have been surprised at the amount of just plain reading that is involved. As well as each unit, there is recommended reading and then suggested reading. As one fellow student shared in our student forum, he's only up to section 4 in the first study unit and there is over 650 pages of reading to be done. I'm doing my first mini assessment and have now discovered they are asking a question about economic pros/cons doing business in another country. Reasonably interesting - (not sure how relevant this is to the financial advice I am giving, in a retail banking environment), but nowhere in the course content is this referred to and so I need to head off and do a whole lot more research and reading, thank you google! I have 12 units to go over the next 2-3 years. Is it all like this?

2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I have no idea with the Masters of FP, however for a masters the reading etc seems appropriate, wouldn't be surprised if the workload was higher.

3. Terryw

Terryw Well-Known Member

They can't make it too easy if it is a masters degree - but no one does the reading anyway in courses!

austing likes this.
  4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Hence why we are turning out so many poor graduates. Though many of the readings are poorly thought out and not given relevance or exercises to ingrain the knowledge so it is both sides at fault.

5. Terryw

Terryw Well-Known Member

In an ideal world you would do the readings but life gets in the way. I just did a masters subject and I tried doing all the readings and keep up to date as it was a topic i was interested in, but then i started to slip...