Join our investing community

KAPLAN or Mentor Education?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by JoshRyan, 16th Apr, 2014.

?

KAPLAN or Mentor Education?

1. KAPLAN

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Mentor Education

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. JoshRyan

JoshRyan Member

Hi all,

I'm currently working in retail and I'm really motivated to change careers and become a Financial Planner. I've always been fascinated by personal finance, sound financial management, etc. so I think I'd be good at it.

I've been doing a lot of research into it and I'm keen to do the Diploma Of Financial Planning and get my RG146. In my endless amounts of Googling for providers, I stumbled across this forum and since you guys are in the industry right now, I wanted to get some wise advice.

I've been looking around and have found two providers so far:

1. KAPLAN
    2. Mentor Education

Can anyone explain or offer any advice/experience on which provider I should choose and why? Or perhaps there's another provider I should consider - if so, why?

2. drolfe

drolfe New Member

Hi Josh,

I'm in the same boat. I also posted a thread a couple of weeks ago, I've noticed that there has been plenty of views but no one has replied with any info.
    From what I've found in my search is that because your located in Melbourne you've got a lot of options.

Kaplan seems to be favoured by most, however if you have a look at some of the threads its not easy (nor should it be when its a diploma, I've got 2 diplomas 1 in Management and the other in Hospitality and even after 10+ years experience they had challenging parts) so having multiple people studying it can help. IE this forum...

What I am tossing up with, is whether its better to go to a face to face class for two reasons;
    1. I am new and trying to get into the industry and this could be a good way to network
    2. You've got the classroom environment to help with any of the challenges there and then.

I live in Brisbane so I would need to go to either Melbourne or Sydney for a face to face.

Anyway back to you. If you go by just the number of people on here who are studying with Kaplan, then that would be the way to go for the online forum support network.

Let me know how you get on.

D

3. JoshRyan

JoshRyan Member

Thanks for the response drolfe. I also noticed your thread and noticed that nobody has responded on that either. Frustrating.

You're correct that Melbourne seem in a good position as far as a number of providers.

I've also noticed that KAPLAN seems to be extremely popular on this forum. Curious why that is? Are their courses/training better than the other providers? Price-wise, they seem about 'on par'.

Good question about online learning versus classroom learning. I guess it comes down to personal learning style. For me, I think I'd prefer to do it face to face as long as I can get time off work.

Is anyone on this forum able to explain why they decided upon KAPLAN? Are they better known in the industry? Do employers prefer it? Better training? Something else I've missed altogether?

I guess since I'm just starting out in the industry I want to make sure I start on the right foot.

Any help/insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

4. MentorRG146

MentorRG146 Mentor Education - RG146

Hello, what would you like to know about Mentor Education and RG146 courses?

5. MentorRG146

MentorRG146 Mentor Education - RG146

How did you go? Did you decide anything yet?
    One of the main things Mentor does well is the student support via helpdesk staff on the phone etc. Mentor has also had 15,000 RG146 graduates so very experienced.

Did you have any specific questions?

6. JoshRyan

JoshRyan Member

Completely forgot about this forum/thread.

Ended up going with Mentor Education since Kaplan didn't offer anything in the way of classroom learning unfortunately. I think they used to a long time ago, but don't seem to anymore.

Was great overall, instructor was super switched on and very engaging.