Join our investing community

KAPLAN Superannuation & Retirement planning assignment May 2010

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by Emrah97, 4th Apr, 2011.

1. Emrah97

Emrah97 New Member

Hey,

I've been working on this for so long now, its making less sense each time I look at it.
    I am thinking that question 6 should include a TTR for Karen, as the build up to this involves the Salary sac and TTR. But I feel that this amount is then assessable under income and assets tests for Michaels age pension.
    Has anyone submitted not including a TTR and passed?
    I think I'm going down the wrong tracks here....
    Please help!

2. micdan

micdan Active Member

SRP Assignment

I have successfully completed this assignment.
    I did submit a TTR in question 6, as the question asks that you make recommendations for both Michael & Karen.
    I found that all previous questions in the assignment lead to question 6.
    Feel free to email me any question you have, and I will do what I can to help you.

3. hurricane

hurricane New Member

"But I feel that this amount is then assessable under income and assets tests for Michaels age pension."

You're right, the TTR is assessable as income for the couple. Kaplan came back to me with this one. You'll need to remember that the deeming for income streams is different for centrelink too.

Q6 is tough, I'm re-doing it at the mo!!! AGHHHHH

4. Emrah97

Emrah97 New Member

I passed. I did add the TTR. Phew, I found this subject tough.
    Thanks for your comments!
    Good luck Hurricane

5. simon844

simon844 New Member

assignment

hey guys

i am also currently doing the super assignment, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

6. Matt78

Matt78 Member

I have emailed a couple of you who've put up emails. I have some friends who've done the SRP unit and assignment, but I'd like to help others to get the latest one right before I open this unit (I've done units 1-3)

The people in the one's I have are Karen and Michael - has it changed in the last couple months?

eg. I have "Michael is age 66 and Karen is age 62. Both are in very good health and have full private hospital cover with a $1,000 excess. Karen is an only child and she is very close to her mother and father who are both alive and quite active at ages 86 and 84 respectively. Michael’s parents and three sisters are also all alive and healthy." bla bla bla

but this assignment version is dated May 2010 ^^

7. kwakker

kwakker Active Member

Hey,

Just to start with I'd thought I'd let you know that I am currently awaiting my results for this assignment, so everything I say may not be quite right. But it's what I've done with my assignment.

1) I did an excel table showing the expected cash flow position of the couple over their lifetimes. I didn’t address any strategies available to them as it does not ask for strategies, rather it asks to analyse. I simply stated what the capital gap was and why that might be the case.

2) Part C of this question is addressing your knowledge of the types of super contributions (CC and NCC) along with the underlying types of NCC and CC. Part D is asking for specific reference to advantages and disadvantages along with the rules and restrictions for NCC and CC. In Part E I made specific reference to what contributions would benefit Michael and Karen, and kept my answers general without giving a dollar value.

3) I don’t know what you’re referring to with ALC? There’s an example on page 6:10 which I followed.

4) I took it as current position. As the strategies I mentioned involved Michael maxing out his eligible age pension. I did not do calculations as my assignment was lengthy enough as it was.

5) I found it helps to make assumptions (a lot of mine made it easier to work out calculations eg Michael and Karen both retire at end of financial year). Just make sure you list assumptions. Kaplan screwed me over last assignment because they ‘couldn’t find’ my assumptions – even though they were listed under the title assumptions at the start of the questions. For this you need to read question 6 carefully as they list everything they want you to show and I think they cover it all pretty thoroughly. Plus you should really look at the first sentence under question 6. I didn’t see it and it changed my advice completely (I only found it the night before).
    I find it easier to split my advice up into sections: before Karen’s retirement and after Karen’s retirement.
    I did include cash flow tables and showed all my working out.
    Hope this helps. I know Kaplan are pretty useless when it comes to responding to your questions and clarifying, but I think with this assignment they laid it out nicely.

PS I will not be forwarding my assignment on to anyone, so stop asking me and sending me private messages asking to ‘swap’ for your FFP and Risk assignments. I’ve completed those assignments as has everyone else who is doing this assignment. I’m happy to help if you post questions in invested as it not only helps you out but others as well (I don’t check often but will try and respond).

8. finplan1

finplan1 finplan

Pension and Deeming Rates

Hi,

As with everyone else on this thread i'm attempting to complete the Super and Retirement planning assignment.

For question 5 is everyone using the pension, deeming and assets threshold rates from the stundy notes or are you using the rates provided in the quick refrence guide jan-mar 12 that was provided with the study notes?

any help would be appreciated.

9. kwakker

kwakker Active Member

Hey finplan1,

It doesn't matter which rates you use as long as you mention in your assumptions which ones were used and as long as you maintain those rates throughout your assignment.

I believe that the notes should have been updated (Im presuming since the assignment is dated May 2010 that Kaplan hasn't tweaked this in over 2 years) to include the new rates as well as any new legislation that has come about.

I did use updated rates and threshholds because I found that it worked in their favour.

kwakker

10. Bec.

Bec. New Member

Hi guys,

I seriously need some help with Q2 and Q5.

In Q2... How did you set out showing the capital that the couple will need? I don't seem to be able to get the questions started. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

And Q5... The calculations, I'm confusing myself. Do I show my working for the deeming, income test and asset test? Ask the question is asking in regards to their current investment portfolio, I'm having trouble working out there income. Once again any tips?

Thanks so much!

Bec

11. OldScotland

OldScotland Member

What is this all about

I've had so much trouble with this assignment and spent so much time on it that I now have only question.......

Am I on the right track if I just take it as given that all the questions in the assignment relate to an extremely bad example in which I am asked to comment and give TTR, Age Pension, super, etc on a couple who's situation is not really suited to any of them particularly well???

12. Cashola

Cashola New Member

Help - Question 6

hi guys, still struggling with question 6 of this assignment. any help would be much appreciated. cheers

13. mallaballa

mallaballa New Member

I am beginning to think the same thing.

I think i ve got question 1 and 2 pretty much covered but its hard to make recommendations on strategies as it feels like the answers to latter questions might contradict them. Hopefully if you can get Q1-5 done then the 6th should be just putting them all together as the scenario is that Micheal has retired and Karen will in 3 years. Best of luck to all.

14. garycon06

garycon06 Member

SRP exam

Hi Folks,

I have the assignment passed and am about to do the exam.
    Has anyone done the exam yet, if so can you remember what questions were asked for module 6 'strategic Retirement Planning'?

If any one is having issues with assignment happy to PM to discuss..

thanks

15. KathC

KathC New Member

Hi Suzi and others....
    Im in the same boat here...Completely stuck on Q 6 - SRP1 - any help with the last answer is appreciated. All other subjects and question done but just stuck on the last one!
    Its taken WAY WAY TOOOO long to get this far ! Any assistance to get this 'monkey off my back' would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Kath

16. ahuja9

ahuja9 Member

Superannuation

Hi guys,

Is there anyone doing a superannuation assignment on new Kaplan platform. Under the new Kaplan platform the assignment and Exam has to be finished within 12 weeks. I'm currently looking for a study partner so that I can share my ideas and start my assignment. My client's are George and Rebecca Brown in my assignment. Sounds familiar to anyone. Plzzzzzz help

Thanks.

17. prishvr

prishvr New Member

Rebecca and george assignment

Hi there,

I am also doing the rebecca and george assignment!!!!!! can we do this assignment together........ m really not able to do this alone.

18. essjays

essjays Member

Ive passed the assignment now, its the exam Im struggling with :(

You only get 16 minutes per module for a resit, and the exam is heavily focused on doing manual calculations which can take a few minutes. Very hard to do the resit within time

19. OldScotland

OldScotland Member

OK, I have 2 days left to complete SRP and, despite spending many many hours on this, I'm still not getting anywhere.

I guess my issue now is with Q6. I basically cannot come up with a very good solution for the Lockharts and don't know where I'm going wrong.

I believe Karen has about 25 years to live, they can live off approx $50k a year and, no matter what you do in the last 3 years of Karen's work, they're gonna both be in retirement with about $500,000 in super between them.

Assuming a growth rate of 7% and CPI at 3%, their funds could only conceivably last around 13 years.

Should I not be factoring in CPI? Should I assume a higher growth rate? Should I assume one of them will die sooner? Should I factor in death benefit?

I have felt that the subject notes on this whole subject have been sketchy at best and this assignment is very general and ambiguous. I'd really appreciate all the help I can get!!!!

20. gar26lw

gar26lw Member

Hi, I am awaiting my results but hope I can help you out.

Yep, Karen has a predicted lifespan of around 87. I worked to this for the couple.

You are looking for a ttr for Karen,get Michael to retire, juggle super and ttr super in years up to retirement to balance the budget at 50k a year.

Expected ending super is in the 500-600 mark.
    I used the money smart retirement excel planner to estimate super funds. This factors CPI.

Place in your assumed return on super funds. Note the word assumed.

So if you are in a bind, my advice is to make an assumption on rate of return to help you out. Since rerunning the calculations for 4 yrs is a drag.
    If you haven't done so, make use of excel to project and calculate all incomes, tax and centrelink outcomes so you can input starting scenario and then get 4 years of projections and final retirement outcome. This helps a lot and speeds things up but requires a good few hours setting it up.

At 7% they should be stylin'
    I used 6.3% for Karen and 5.7% for Michael and it was hard.

Make use of centrelink payments. Max the payments by juggling super between the couple at key points. Make use of strategies in final chapter in srp notes.

Both should be able to survive to projected life expectancy as stated in tables in quick reference guide.

Make use of the Ffp notes, they explain things clearer and you can also make use of case study in Ffp for help on the soa. It says don't need one, said same for ip1. It's way easier if you just do an soa and refer to Ffp, IMHO. Since you have a good framework to go off.

Hope this helps