Keeping up with Inflation

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by legionx, 11th Sep, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. legionx

legionx Member

This is probably a really simple question. But say if I invest $100 for 30 years at 10% return, I get around $217,132.11 with compounding interest.

Now if we assume 4% inflation for the next 30 years it should only be worth around $66,945.88, which means I need $704,245.74 to keep up with its real value. (Source: Inflation Calculator - Save Enough to Account for Inflation)

If I increase my monthly contributions by 4% each year will I keep up with inflation's decrease of 4%?

2. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Excuse me, you've lost me there
    Where did the $704,245.74 come from?

Cheers

3. legionx

legionx Member

4. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Something is not right with your calculations.
    Investing $100 for $30 years and compounding daily at 10% will come to $2007 and not to $217K.

Even if an additional $100 was added monthly so yout total yearly investment was $1200 the total amount after 30 years only gets to $24K

But let's assume that it did get to $217K.
    To be able to counteract inflation you need to be adding 4% of the capital and not 4% of your contribution and you need to be doing this at the compounding rate.

5. legionx

legionx Member

Thanks, that answers it, 4% to the capital, that makes sense. I'm not sure why your calculations are different. I used a different calculator this time and actually got more!

Savings Results Calculator

Pump in $100 per month, for 30 years at 10% p/a compounding interest. You get $226,048.79

6. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

nice 1.

Now if you went 1 step further and sallary sacrificed $115/month into your super you will pay $15% contributions tax so your monthly contribution will be reduced to $100 but your actual cost depending on your tax bracket could be up a lot lower than $100.

If you were on the 40% income tax scale you could increase your super contribution to $170/month. You will pay the 15% contributions tax but you will still have $144.50 added to your super.

So your savings are higher than if you did it outside super and it will still cost you $100/month.

The only problem with the above plan is that you can't touch the money until you are at retirement age.

Cheers

7. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

even better BV, if your a low income earner, you can put in your $100 doll payment, the government will give you another $150, so your contribution would be $250 per month...

how about we run those figures through the system!

8. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

CRC

I did and it came up with crc_error something....:D

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Bill,

You just made my day !!!:D::p:D

10. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

That CRC was trying to crash the system :)

11. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Watch out Bill! It might be a virus...:p;)