Join our investing community

Kicking back on a Sunday night

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by money_penny, 18th Jun, 2017.

1. money_penny

money_penny Member

I heard about this forum from a friend who also told me about Property Chat.

I've been interested in investing for a long time although had to put it on hold while I saved for my first home. Now I'm ready to start regularly investing and am keen to improve my knowledge with like-minded people. My investment goal is to grow my little share portfolio into something that provides enough passive income to be semi-retired and have nice things. Currently leaning towards shares but would like to add some properties in the mix in near future.

Looking forward to participating in this forum.

2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

welcome ,
    i am not a member on Property chat ,

this forum is an interesting mix of full professionals , professionals in the making and enthusiastic investors .

member Austing has a nice list of contributions on LICs in particular

but long term opinions on ETFs are popular here as well ( with REITs also getting a mention , despite being near the market top ).

enjoy .

money_penny likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Welcome money_penny.

Lots of good information here on shares - also do some research into ETFs and LICs which are both a low cost way to get a broader exposure to the markets.

4. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Hi money_penny, welcome aboard for the ride.
    I would second Simon's take
    Take it all in, ask questions, learn lessons and make up your own mind.

money_penny likes this.
  5. money_penny

money_penny Member

Thanks for the welcome @Simon Hampel and @Hosko. So many interesting and helpful posts here and on property chat, and I'm currently reading through Austing's guide to LICs. I already have a couple of LICs (argo and afi) and would like to learn more about how ETFs and LICs work, assessing what makes a share a "good" buy etc. For debt recycling my plan is to start with income producing shares, e.g index fund plus the LICs, as the bulk of the porfolio. Then once I become more knowledgeable about stock picking, I want to invest directly in some growth stocks. And then later, set aside a small part for exotic stuff like emerging markets.

twisted strategies likes this.
  6. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

ETFs require a LOT of research ( despite the perception of being 'easy ' )

the PDS , and mandate can have many tiny details ( and they all differ importantly )

physical v. synthetic

hedged v. unhedged

leveraged ( geared ) v. normal

equal weight v. 'market weight ' ( equal weight is the same percentage of every share in that index ... say 1.2%

are just the tip of the iceberg

each has their strengths and weaknesses , and your personal requirements will be pivotal here to selection good options for you ..

key to ETFs is timing your buying ( after all they only mirror a certain angle of the market )

index funds promise to track the relevant mandate ( they don't zoom or plummet in SP unless the shares in the underlying index do , BUT they track almost instantly .. the beauty or curse of computer algorithms )

so ( less fees ) they only unusual gain is via DRP ( should they have one )

i hold a selection of ETFs , REITs and LICS ( and ordinary shares ) preferring ordinary shares but not ignoring the other classes .