Kitchens

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 25th Sep, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

OK I need some advice....

Wanting to maximise sale price of my house and need to spend some time getting that Wow factor into the kitchen, without installing a brand new one. Currently I have a laminate late 80's kitchen which has been updated with new appliances (oven, rangehood, microwave), new handles and colour (repainting of backsplash tiles, walls) but that's it.
    Ideas suggested have ranged from complete installation (which I don't consider necessary) to doing nothing at all :rolleyes:

I am considering replacing only the benchtops and getting new drawer runners for the current ones which are very wobbly. Has anyone recently had a benchtop replaced or know of anyone who does a good job on this? Was looking to install caesarstone or similar.

2. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Looking at this from another perspective...won't the woman of the house want to come in and remodel the kitchen if not in her own image at least in her own way :D :p ??

Are you convinced the dollars you spend on semi-hidden things like drawer runners will really boost your price.

Maybe you can use it as a bargaining chip ("well okay we'll knock a grand off because the kitchen needs some work")

N.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

How about offering $5000 towards a new kitchen as part of the sale ?

4. kevinb

kevinb Active Member

Hi Jacque

I can recommend Bellwood Kitchens (Sydney ph 97566047) - I uploaded a photo of a job they did for me - titled new kitchen. I have been doing business with them for over 25 years.

Rgds

Kevinb

5. rambada

rambada Well-Known Member

With your benchtop replacement, consider getting a stone mason and then buying granite from the auctions or seconds yard. Much much cheaper.
    Sounds as though you've covered all the bases with everything else you've done.
    Also remember lighting, enhances apperance and workability.

6. Jacque

Thanks for the food for thought, guys :)

Nige, as far as the woman of the house is concerned, I intend for it to look so good that they won't want to remodel ;)
    And, yes, drawer runners are important- it's the little things that buyers do like opening the top drawer that count towards a more successful outcome.
    I also look under sinks (for leaks), open the most used doors (to test hinges) and check out under the rangehood to see how clean people have been. I've generally found kitchens to be a really good indicator of general cleanliness and maintenance in a home.

7. Jacque

Have you done this yourself Rambada with a stonemason? Sounds like a great idea- and I do love auctions :)

8. islandgirl__

islandgirl__ Well-Known Member

There are so many cheap stone lookalikes these days that are relatively easy to install. Likewise you can simply paint over old splashback tiles and repaint cupboards to give them instant effect.

It is going to depend on the existing structure of the kitchen cupboards. If they are basically sound you should be able to find a cheap lookalike that will do the job nicely