Land Tax in SA

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by cales405, 21st Mar, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. cales405

cales405 New Member

I am just planning my next property purchase, which will be under a HDT structure.

Now, I have two units in Melbourne under HDT and am about to settle on a house in QLD in 4 weeks time under the HDT.

I also have my PPOR in NSW, which is in mine and wifes joint individual names.

I was considering purchasing a unit in NSW for investment, but am put off by the land taxes in NSW and especially having no threshold for trusts, so after a bit of researching want to buy in SA.

I can find out about the thresholds for SA, but am a little confused on how the SA OSR treat land tax under trust structures. Can anyone make this a little clearer for me please? I am considering purchasing more than one property in SA and am looking at freestanding houses.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The threshold still applies for trusts in SA (shhh - don't tell everyone - they may think to change it).

We pay the same land tax for our SA properties as we would if they were held in our own names (I just checked the calculations on my last land tax bill and it is the same).

3. cales405

cales405 New Member

Thanks for the info Sim.

Makes my decision more concrete then to purchase my next IP in SA rather than NSW.