Join our investing community

Laptop...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tropo, 13th Dec, 2006.

1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

New computer…

I have got unreal problems with my computer (freezes, refuses to switch off etc and I must pull a plug from the wall socket to switch it off….). :eek:
    I am thinking of buying the best new laptop available on the market (preferably wireless).
    So, what brand do you may recommend ??? and what do you think about the new Telstra’s wireless network?
    PS - I need very fast machine with all new gadgets built in.…;)

2. ramone_johnny

ramone_johnny Well-Known Member

In government we use Toshiba - not really sure why, but they seem reliable.

RJ

3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I have the Toshiba Satellite A70 at home and work; it too freezes up every now and again. Sometimes (every blue moon) it wont start unless you take the power cord out and start up on battery power as well :confused:

Other than that..a great laptop

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

I haven't used it - so can't comment on the quality ... but the prices are very expensive for what you get in my opinion.

Can't really say if it is worth the money at this point.

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Hahahaaa. It's nice to see that I am not the only one having some issues with computers.
    My problems started few days ago when we loaded a new version of Firewall...:mad:
    I assume that's life.:eek: We have to put up with the technology.

Sim,
    That is what I think.... At this stage I am just checking possibilities...;)

6. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,

I was forced to use Telstra wireless for a while - what a horrible six months. Worst connection ever.

Mark

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Mark L, I think Tropo was referring to Telstra's new Next G network - which has only been around a month or so.

8. TakeStock

TakeStock Well-Known Member

I've been very happy with my Toshiba laptop, although the hard drive has recently started to play up...

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Mark,

Sim is correct.
    PS- I would not use Telstra service even for free !! :rolleyes:

10. Leandro

Leandro Well-Known Member

Hey,

I have a NEC versa p600 which i purchased 3 years ago. I had quite a few problems early on, with the DVD drive only reading CDs and not DVDs. I got that replaced by NEC, but they damaged some of the casing in doing so and the drive door didn't sit as straight as it should. So i sent it back again and they changed the case and the DVD player again.
    About 1 month after the warranty finished the harddrive died. I complained vigourously to NEC about it, as i had reported some early symptoms during the earlier service and they didn't think anything was wrong. We came to an agreement where i only paid for the service of changing the drive and not for the drive itself. After this, it has run smoothly for 2 years without any problem.

I think when i bought the laptop i was paying a bit of a premium for the brand.

I purchased a new ASUS F3JV about 2 weeks ago which is pretty well specced. Core 2 Duo, 2.0GHz, 120Gb Harddrive, 1Gb Ram, 15.4" WXGA+ colourshine screen, Geforce 512Mb video card, 802.11abg wireless, 1.3 mp camera built in, DVD writer. So far the actualy PC has performed very well. It will have to go into service though, as the keyboard is actually a little loose on one side, but the service centre which i talked to this morning seemed very helpful. They offered to pickup the laptop via courier and ship it back to me if i can't get to their service centre. NEC always wanted me to visit their service centre, even though it was very far from my home. The ASUS warranty is also for 2 years which is better than the standard 1 year.

I pretty much have come to the conclusion, that laptops due to their smaller size and portability are going to have more problems than desktops, so warranty is very important, and the service which backs that warranty!

I hope this information helps you a little with your decision.

11. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Thanks Leandro,

Your story is a bit like a horror movie. :eek:
    You make me think.......Maybe I should not buy laptop at all.
    I heard that Sony laptops are quite reliable machines. Well...I will consider all available options...I need a very reliable piece of equipment.
    ;)

12. myarhidia

myarhidia Member

Hey Tropo,
    the symptoms you describe are not a hardware error, the cause is more likely your O/S is just bogging down with all the updates & drivers & applications you have installed on it. Unless you really want / need to upgrade, I would suggest backing up your data, erasing your hard drive & installing from scratch.

13. Leandro

Leandro Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. If you have the time worth a try i guess.

Yeah, the NEC saga was quite annoying, but as i have other computers at hand it wasn't such a hassle.

I do tend to believe that laptops are less reliable than their desktop counterparts like i said earlier due to their nature. However, a laptop does also give you much flexability if you actually require it, which i do. I personally wouldn't buy a laptop to use just as a desktop replacement for this reason, not to mention that laptops are more expensive than desktops with similar configurations.

14. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Amigo ..... You are killing me softly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
    I may consider to do what your suggested but later.
    Right now I am packing my bags and I am ready for a holiday. I may survive few more days with my old PC....
    Frankly......It's easier for me to buy a new machine than follow your suggestion.
    Wow!! Technology!!!
    :eek: :eek:

15. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"I do tend to believe that laptops are less reliable than their desktop counterparts like i said earlier due to their nature. However, a laptop does also give you much flexability if you actually require it, which i do. I personally wouldn't buy a laptop to use just as a desktop replacement for this reason, not to mention that laptops are more expensive than desktops with similar configurations "

Leandro,

I tend to agree with you. On the other hand as you said - laptop is giving more flexibility...
    Today my old machine is still working, so I may survive few more days...:eek:

16. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Hey Tropo

I've killed more laptops than I care to remember. Toshiba has a great name, but I've only ever owned Dell. Their service and support is hands down second to none, and lets face it in consumable technology items service and support really is THE only differentiator.

I'm getting tired of my laptop and considering upgrading to flash new dual core desktop, but ...

There is the double deduction benefit available for laptops. Makes them much more cost effective than a desktop if you can tolerate a notebook as your main machine :)

Upshot of my 10-15 years using all the gear supplied is Toshiba=good, Dell=good, rest=take ya chances but probably ok as long as its a name brand

Cheers
    Carl

17. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Carl,

Thanks you for information.
    I have a lot to think about and will decide in the near future when I get back from a holiday.

So far I am still struggling with my old PC.:mad:
    :cool: