Late fees because my agent didn't pay fees on time

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by k_veg, 27th May, 2014.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. k_veg

k_veg Active Member

Hi all

I have an apartment in Perth which is managed by a property manager, including the payment of all bills in relation to the property.

The agent did not pay my quarterly strata levies on time (so they had to send a 2nd and 3rd notice out). It was only when the strata company emailed me directly that I realised the fees had not been paid.

They charged me $55 of fees (the levy itself is only $375). Now my question is... who is responsible to pay these late fees? Should it be paid by me, or my property manager?

My property manager says that she did not receive the original notice, or the subsequent 2. The strata company says they were definitely sent... and in the 2 years when I was paying the bills myself, I never had a problem with not receiving the levy notices.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Karen

2. k_veg

k_veg Active Member

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Not yet - but >>> I would imagine that right now f****n agent is killed and his house is burnt down !!! :p
    Unbelievable ..... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: 31st May, 2014
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You got off lightly. Many years ago my rates remained unpaid and the matter went to court without my knowledge with me receiving a default judgment against me. This remained on the credit report for 5 years.

I would say you have a strong case that the agent is liable (assuning they contracted with you to pay the rates). I nice letter should fix it up, if not moving to another agent should make them reconsider.

5. Pete Ramoza

Pete Ramoza Active Member

Bloody agents. Assuming you've checked the address the strata managers were sending the notices to?? Otherwise get rid of the agents, obviously not looking after you.