Lending / loaning against a Business Valuation

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by iavatar, 1st Nov, 2012.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. iavatar

iavatar New Member

Hi,

I would like to get a low interest loan which is secured against my Businesses valuation.

Does anyone know if there are any companies or institutions that might cater for this?

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It will be very difficult.

What do you mean by 'business'? If you have tangible assets such as equipment then possibly you could get a loan. Rates would be high.

If you have intangible assets such as good will then this could not be used as security.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

How much are you looking to borrow?

Businesses can generally get a line of credit - but without real property as security, you'll be paying unsecured interest rates, which are typically 11%+

Basically, a business often doesn't have any tangible assets, unless perhaps it owns the premises you operate out of, or you have expensive equipment or other assets. Without assets to secure the loan, you certainly won't get a "cheap" loan.

4. iavatar

iavatar New Member

Thanks for the comments.

Terryw - It's mainly "intangible." But I find the whole tangible or intangible aspect the banks take very archaic.
    If something has a value, then it can be sold if a loan is defaulted. Who cares if its tangible or not.
    If I default on my loan then I'm happy for the bank to sell my business (which has a value and can easily be sold).
    That's all mainly directed at the banks not the person providing me helpful feedback.

Sim - I'm only looking to borrow about $20,000. It's all annoying as I see my business as an asset.

Either way it looks like I'm fighting a losing battle!

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

iavatar, but if the business fails the bank would have nothing to take...

For $20k your best bet would be to use a credit card. It would be the easiest way. Few months down the track you may be able to switch the balance to a low rate too.

6. iavatar

iavatar New Member

Thanks TerryW, I'll look into it.

(I think there's more chance of my property assets failing than my business, but again, its the banks opinion that matters).

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I know a few years back Citibank was offering a $25K unsecured line of credit. Interest rates were typically high, but I know a few people who used these to buy property with (to flip or to renovate and revalue/refinance).

Not sure if they still have that product or what the criteria are.

8. iavatar

iavatar New Member

Thanks Sim. I do actually remember that credit offer.