Like for like comparisons for Superannuation portfolios

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by bowasd, 27th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bowasd

bowasd New Member

Hey,

How do we compare a Superfund's portfolio asset allocation against another? Assuming the investment option you're in is 'balanced', you'd match that up with the other fund's balanced options however different funds build their portfolios differently. So wondering how you would go about doing a comparison to decide between funds?

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

welcome ,

without bias ??

i think you will find that answer very hard to find .... sure they will have a formula

like say
    20% interest bearing securities

20% in short term deposits

20% in equities .. etc , etc.

a lot of funds are 'open-ended' allowing inflows and outflows so actual portfolio components may be very fleeting in size and importance .( net week's portfolio could differ markedly )

another issue is most options will show themselves in the best light ( even when almost identical in content )

my main beef with Super funds is they try to cater for broad classes of people and what is best for you , may not not be economical to duplicate for hundreds of customers.

3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Maybe if you ask why and decide what you are looking for you will have a yard stick to compare to.

Fees would be the first thing I'd look at regardless.

When they say international it's pretty broad, do they index track or actively manage that part of the portfolio. Apples may not be apples her.

Plenty of super funds allow you to create your own asset allocations at bargain prices.

2 people like this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member