Loan application for SMSF

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Ed_invest, 26th Nov, 2013.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ed_invest

Ed_invest New Member

Hi
    I am looking at borrowing to purchase a commercial property through a Self Managed Superannuation Fund.
    Can anyone please tell me who is responsible for making this application.
    Is it me, accountant, broker?
    Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

None of the above.

The trustee of the SMSF must be the one applying for the loan. The trustee may use an appropriately qualified mortgage broker to assist with the application. Accountants can assist if they have a credit icence.

3. Ed_invest

Ed_invest New Member

Thanks for response.

4. Jimmy007__

Jimmy007__ Member

Assuming you already have an SMSF set up with a bare trust, it would be a broker.

Brokers with good LRBA experience are few and far between as the paper work and application is a little different to your average app.

I've used CLS Finance before and don't have any major gripes about their process or application. There are a fair few good brokers on this forum too! Good to go local :)

I would definitely involve your broker early on the decision making process as I have heard horror stories of lengthy applications or signing contracts in the wrong name etc...

good luck!

5. Pete Ramoza

Pete Ramoza Active Member

As Terry said, the applicant must be the trustee of the SMSF. You can however enlist the services of a broker if you so wish.