Join our investing community

LOE articles

Discussion in 'Help & Feedback' started by JoannaK, 2nd Jun, 2006.

1. JoannaK

JoannaK Member

I've noticed that Steve's LOE Parts 1 to 4 have not been reposted to the Articles - are they going to be re-posted along with Part 5 any time soon?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Part 5 of LOE is still a fair way away - quite a bit of work required for that one, and it's a busy time of year.

The rest of this series of articles have been taken offline for republishing - our intention is to make them available through the online store in due course.

3. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

Sim, can you ensure that the final instalment of the LOE article series includes detailed examples, especially for the long term - 20 - 40yrs not just 5yrs.
    Thankyou.

4. HHH

HHH Active Member

Does this mean those that were not smart enough to save them will have to pay to re-read them?

5. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Well-Known Member

Hmmm, that may mean some are smarter than others ;)

6. talbashan

talbashan Well-Known Member

SIM,
    I see that you've deleted mark's reply
    mmmmm
    :)

7. Simon Hampel

No need to read anything in to that ... we simply haven't finalised our plans yet - so any discussion about what should or shouldn't happen is premature.

8. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

It appears that these articles 1 to 5 will be available for sale eventually via an online store of sorts.
    And I would assume, if that is the case, that you'll have to buy the book, rather than just the chapter.
    So it won't matter one iota if you've already saved copies of 1 to 4...unless of course you're happy to read only the first 80% of a book.:rolleyes: If you want Chapter 5, you'll have to buy the lot! Besides, as Sim said, it's still a fair way off yet, but I won't be holding my breath any longer.
    Personally, I believe Invested has taken a totally different tack from what was initially mooted because of lack of paying patronage. It will now increase it's (free) membership, but 'quality' will be replaced by 'quantity'.
    And it's my belief that Steve's absence from the forum over a long period of time, for whatever reason, has not been at all helpful.
    End of rant..:)
    Thanks
    Jayar

9. Simon Hampel

I'm not sure I fully understand your comments Jayar.

Are you complaining or just observing ?

Either way - if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

10. TakeStock

TakeStock Well-Known Member

Bill Cosby was once asked what the secret to success was. He said that he didn't know the answer to that, but he did know that the secret to failure was to try to please everyone all of the time.

Should InvestEd have stayed as it was (limited numbers of paying members) or should it have changed into its new format (many non-paying members subsidised by advertising)? I personally feel that the new format is the way to go. It opens up a tremendous resource to all Australians (who have Internet access), and is moderated by highly qualified individuals. Most importantly, this site, apart from having educational articles and a glossary, has a forum that is not limited to Property Investment like others. It opens up the areas of shares, managed funds, superannuation and investment strategies.

As far as the ads go, I followed a couple of the links and actually found a book I previously purchased for considerably less than I paid!:mad: Wish I had seen it earlier!

Well done to Sim for the large amount of work he has put into this!:) I eagerly look forward to the other enhancements you aim to do (eg Podcasts)

11. Simon Hampel

Podcasts are really high on the priority list ... I want to start publishing them sooner rather than later - so you won't have to wait too long.

12. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Hi, Sim,
    No, I'm not complaining at all.........if I had paid for a product and I wasn't entirely happy with that product, I'd complain.
    And I haven't paid for anything here.
    My comments are based on my own observations.
    Perhaps I should have ended my last post with 'end of my personal observation', instead of 'end of rant'.:D
    Thanks,
    Jayar

13. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

My view on the LOE articles is that while I understand the amount of work Steve has put in creating them and the intellectual property contained in them, all five parts should be published free of charge given that parts 1 to 4 were. In all of those 4 parts, Steve made reference on a number of occasions to the fact that there were 5 parts in the series and that detailed examples would be forthcoming in part 5. I have no problems if we had to pay for the articles right from the outset but I think it's a bit rich to publish 4 free of charge and then suddenly turn round and say part 5 will cost you.

14. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Hi Gaz

I don't think that's what we're saying at all. Previously members paid a membership fee to join (or got a special free membership through being Navra clients). So really the cost of resources like the articles was amortised across every member's annual fee.

We've pulled the articles from the relaunch not only to work on "part 5" but also to enhance the earlier parts and really give you something great.

We're not ashamed to charge for it because investing knowledge like that is really valuable. The articles took a long time to write - imagine tapping into an investing expert like Steve for that length of time. Pure gold I reckon!

To my mind it's no different from buying investment books from the bookstore or paying to go to course. We all pay in some way or another for our education. Sometimes (like those poor people caught up in the Westpoint debacle) the price of that education can be pretty high. If a series of articles, a seminar or a book lays out a framework for you to achieve financial freedom and potentially retire years earlier I reckon that's worth a fair price.

What do you reckon?

Cheers
    N.

15. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Nigel

I don't have a problem with that philosophy going forward, I just don't agree with changing the approach 80% of the way through the series of articles .

Gazza

16. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Nigel,
    If I had paid $2XX to join InvestEd and my only 'goal' was to receive LOE parts 1-5, I would be pretty cheesed off to then find that my money only covered parts 1-4 and I would have to pay extra for part 5.
    Sim, and Nigel, a suggestion....
    I think it would be fair for all those members who paid $2XX in membership fees to receive LOE 1-5 in its entirety, for no extra charge. What do you think?
    As a Shareholder and Unitholder in NavraInvest, I received a free 12 month membership to InvestEd, and as such, I am prepared to pay, in full, for LOE 1-5, whenever it's released. Not overly happy about it, but no complaints at all.:rolleyes:
    These are just my 'observations'.
    Jayar

17. Leandro

Leandro Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Thought i would post my thoughts on the latest site update, and change in strategy for the invested site in general.

- I think the approach of providing free membership is a good idea to increase member numbers which will increase the number of posts and general conversation in the site, and of course advertising potential. The level of quality of these new posts and increased convesation is yet to be seen however.

- As for the new advertising on display, i don't mind it if it keeps the site running in these early days. I'm still a little divided about any proposed paid premium membership. I guess it depends on what is on offer and how much it costs. Many websites have this model and some even get it to work, again in invested's case it would depend on how attractive the offer is.

- Sim I think podcasts are a GREAT idea! Of course it all depends on the material discussed and who discusses it. I can imagine that a few podcasts spoken by Steve N would be very attractive to all.

Thats it for now from me, but im glad that the invested strategy is still being tinkered with as i do think it has great potential if executed correctly. Let's see if these recent changes pull it off. :)

18. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Accolades to Sim for sticking with the idea and to Nigel, Jacque, Nick et al for contributing advice, and Steve for his advice and articles back at the inception of the site.

Of course you can't build something to please everyone all of the time, but please bear in mind at least some (possibly most?) of us were bought here by Steve's description of what we would receive by being part of InvestEd.

Ripping the last bit of LOE out and re-assessing the position of InvestEd is a bit "un-Australian" or "Un-InvestEd" as the case may be.

This is a way more accepting and positive community than most out there - and I definitely do not think opening up to free subscription is a step in the right direction. Its so close to being something great, I hope the InvestEd decision makers are listening to the feedback from people who've supported it to date (and by supported, I mean having posted, discussed etc. plus indicated they will happily renew with a paid subscription).

No one needs another forum full of flame wars.

Keep up the good work :p
    Carl

19. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Thanks for your feedback, Leandro but I just wanted to say I LOVE your avatar. Totally original :D

20. Jenny

Jenny Well-Known Member

I agree with Gazza. I think the original intention should be honoured.

cheers
    jenny