Managed Funds Looking for another Asian fund

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by tropic, 12th Jul, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

I invest in Platinum Asian Fund and International Fund.
    I am dissapointed with the International Fund performance but I quess it's the same with most other international funds.
    I am thinking that even though Asian fund (ex Japan) has gone up a lot they still have more room to go up than European, North American and Japanese equities. Most of things that we buy now are made in Asia, we even import foods from them.

Can anyone recommend other Asian funds?
    If I can't get other Asian funds I might just transfer my International fund to Platinum Asian fund. But somewhat reluctant leaving all the money in the same fund.
    Opinion please.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'd consider just moving your money across to the Asian fund ... that's what I did late last year when I sold out of my other Platinum funds.

Depends on the structure of the rest of your portfolio though ... what percentage exposure will you have to Asia ?

Don't forget that this can be an extremely volatile market - when things go bad, they tend to do so quite quickly. That being said, I like Platinum Asia's diversity.

I haven't researched any other funds, so can't make any suggestions there.

3. Bantam Roosta

Bantam Roosta Well-Known Member

I'm with Sim on this one. If I was in your situation I would just put it in Platinum Asia, but I don't know your portfolio. I was smart (lucky/stupid?:D )enough to only invest in Platinum Asia when I did. I didn't have enough cash blowing around to enter any others, so I saved myself the worry.:)

BR

4. seaview

seaview Well-Known Member

Other high growth funds which focus solely on China are Challenger China Share Fund (Retail); Macquarie Premium China - a fund for big players with minimum of 2.5 mill. But only 25k is needed if using an on line wrap (i.e. Wealthrac low fee wrap through 2020directinvest.com.au) or Fidelity China (again a big player fund with minimum of 500k, but this is reduced if part of an online Asgard Wrap (only 100k again through 2020 direct invest). Both these wraps can include other funds too, so all eggs are not in one high risk basket.
    We will eventually get around to investing a small part of our portfolio in some of these China funds. We already have some in Platinum Asia. We have just been too busy with other things to do it right now.
    Cheers
    Seaview

5. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the input.

I will research the funds that Seaview mentioned. I been thinking what I should do, presently I am leaning toward a hedge fund similar to Platinum with a good track record. If the Asian market decided to go South, the fund can sell short to reduce loss. Not a sitting duck like a non hedge fund.

6. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

I own 4 platinum funds.

International, and Brands, which I've owned for about 6 years.
    International has performed poorly lately.

Asia and Japan which I've owned about 15 months.
    Asia has been great. Japan has lost me about 10% :eek:

I think I will just hold what I've got. Generally when I sell something, it takes off. There are some rumours doing the rounds that Platinum have gone short resources and resource stocks. That could explain the relatively poor performance. However Platinum did well by me in the 2000 to 2003 bear market, so I will stick by them. The short resource rumours may be crap. I would like to know the truth though. Kerr Neilson doesn't often get it wrong.

See ya's.

7. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

Topcropper,

I feel the same too, when I sell something it takes off.
    You've been in Platinum for a while now, you've done well!
    I just switched my International to Asian. I decided to stay with Platinum.
    Still have an international brand that I am going to keep.

Shorting resources?
    If that what will eventuate maybe we need to invest intenationally to hedge against the AUS$. I would think the AUS$ will drop if resources drop?

8. Simon Hampel

I'm not sure this is the case - I'm not an expert on currency, but my basic understanding is that the majority of the upward pressure on the AUD is a direct result of the interest rate differential between us and other countries (particularly the US). It is our strong economy and low unemployment putting upward pressure on inflation (and hence interest rates), while some other economies are faltering (with neutral or negative pressure on inflation and interest rates) - which is leading our currency higher.

If the resources sector drops and that in turn has a negative impact on growth in Australia, THEN I think we may see a reversal of the current upwards trend in the AUD - especially if other economies strengthen relative to ours ... but this is not necessarily a given - our economy is not driven entirely by resources (although one could be forgiven for thinking so at the moment !!! :D ).

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

5 key factors that move Forex Markets:

-Interest Rates
    -Economic Growth
    -Geo-Politics
    -Trade and Capital Flows
    -Merger and Acquisition Activity
    ;)

10. tony__

tony__ Well-Known Member

I'm looking at putting some more money into a "international" fund.

Personally, I think Hunter Hall Value Growth seems to have that blend between Australian and International. Check it out.

I think Platinum have "lost" it - whether because of change in personnel/ or different investment conditions - but reading their quarterly newsletter is a depressing experience (partly because they are so honest in refering to missed opportunities over the past few years).

The spare funds incidentally are the result of getting out of Credit Suisse International Private which has been a dog for some five years now, albeit note there are several CS "International" but I think all have been poor performers in the past 4/5 years).

I do believe that one needs to weed out bad performers.

Tony

11. Simon Hampel

I think every portfolio should be reviewed at least annually and each investment reconsidered - markets and cycles change, and so do your own plans and goals - so each investment needs to be examined to see if it still meets your criteria.