Lump Sum or Pension

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by davewa, 19th Aug, 2013.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. davewa

davewa Well-Known Member

Hi all,

For an SMSF member who is over 60, fully retired and in Pension Mode, is there any difference between a Lump Sum payment and a Pension payment?

Sorry if this question is dumb, but I've been wondering about this one for some time.

Cheers,
    Davewa

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes.

Tax for one. Earnings in the fund could be tax free whereas if you take a lump sum and then invest and earn income this could be subject to tax depending on your other income and amounts etc.

Asset protection is another as is estate planning pre and post death.

3. davewa

davewa Well-Known Member

Thanks TerryW,

Sorry I didn't ask my question clearly. What I meant to say was let's say I want to withdraw 30% of my balance. Is there any difference in terms of paperwork for doing it as a lump sum or as a one-off pension payment?

Regards,
    Davewa

4. greg999

greg999 Member

Good question - don't know the answer.
    Perhaps a lump sum would count towards the asset test for Social Security purposes, if that's relevant to your case (?)

Greg999

5. Andrew Newman

Andrew Newman Well-Known Member

Hi davewa

Your SMSF accountant should let you know what paperwork you need.

Just curious, how are the funds invested in your SMSF?

Kind Regards

6. davewa

davewa Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew,
    Well surely it doesn't matter what I've invested in, so long as I have available cash to pay the pension / lump sum.

Having recently done a couple of interstate moves, I am in the process of looking for an accountant that I can address such questions too. The recent accountants that have done our annual returns weren't all that knowledgeable about SMSF unfortunately.

Regards,
    Dave

7. Drue

Drue SMSF Accountant

If you are already in pension mode, no additional paperwork is required for the pension payment. Otherwise, pension commencement documents need to prepared and signed. With respect to lump sum payments, it is always a good practice to have a member request and trustee minutes in place.

For accounting and tax purposes, they are reported differently. But you can leave it with your accountant.

Hope it helps.

8. Andrew Newman

Andrew Newman Well-Known Member

Hi davewa

How the funds in your SMSF are invested has nothing to do with the pension but I asked this question out of curiosity.

Kind Regards

9. davewa

davewa Well-Known Member

Hi Drue,

Yes, that's helpful information.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.