M2 Upgrade- public comment closing day 21st June

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by BillV, 15th Jun, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to submit a comment regarding the M2 upgrade in Sydney, now its your chance.
    http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.au/index.pl?action=view_job&job_id=2929

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

What I haven't been able to figure out is why are so many roads in Sydney only two lanes? Only a couple of major freeway/tollways are 3 or more lanes...
    Time to wake up NSW RTA...

3. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

They were built without a vision for the future.
    Our population increased, RTA realised the problem so they added a few more roads or lanes but their response time is so slow by the time a project is complete it runs at 150% capacity.

Sydney never had sufficient public transport so as our population increased more and more people relied on car transport and we ended up with the current mess.

I think the solution is decentralisation, higher taxing of cars and trucks plus big spending in public transport.
    I think taxing cars to subsidise public transport could be an option. I recall a year or 2 ago when petrol was very expensive people left their cars at home and driving on Sydney roads was a pleasure.