Managed Funds Macquarie Equities Enhanced Income Fund

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by TwoDogs, 8th May, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Re: Multi-Strategy Fund

Very interesting Mr Darcy, good pick up :)

2. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

3. Tzaki

Tzaki Well-Known Member

If you add all the fees and interest, what is the break-even point on this fund?

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

It was something like 3.6% in fees, I can't remember the exact number. Add to that the 7.5% in interest (or was it 7.25?), and you're basically looking at a 10% break even point. And that's not even taking inflation into account.

I think I will go for this Macquarie one though, I have a tax problem this could help solve (for this year anyway).

5. Tzaki

Tzaki Well-Known Member

So 10% break even point and then 20% performance fee? ack!! :eek:

6. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I think it's more complicated than that. In fact, I need to read it a few more times to understand high water marks etc. But the 20% performance fee is only on an outperformance of whatever index the fund is up against. Sometimes it's against the RBA cash rate.

7. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

Awesome :rolleyes:

Glebe: have you had previous experience with Freeman Fox?

8. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm attending Peter Spann's free seminar this Thursday though, the second most important engagement of my week. The first is the Mundine vs Green fight on Wednesday :)

9. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

I'm going down to Melb on Friday for his Wealth Magic workshop. We were given cheap tickets so I thought I'd give it a go and have a bit of a holiday. I'm going to stay for the Investor Update on Monday too. I'm going with an open mind, so we'll see.

I've been doing a bit of DD for the fund in question and there's only one thing left that concerns me. The buy-write and dividend run-up strategies perform best in a rising market don't they? Not the best compared to other funds, but the best absolute returns? I can't see it being any other way because both strategies benefit from capital growth (in addition to proceeds from writing calls). Well... I'm wondering if the performance is going to be adequate when the market isn't doing as well as it has?

Looking at the buy-write mac fund, it has returned about 13% since inception. From what I can see, this has generally been during a rising market. I realise it should still make a profit in a sideways market, but will it be enough to make it worthwhile. Just thinking aloud; still considering going for this fund or something similar.

10. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

-T-

I won't be able to make it to his Investor update, so would appreciate it if you could post some of Peter's main points here.

I asked Peter on the Somersoft forum why you would invest in this fund as opposed to the multi strategy fund Glebe mentioned. His answer was mainly because it was created for his clients who already might have had exposure to Mac multi strategy series 1 fund and wanted a fund more closely based on Peter's own strategies. His also mentioned this one is purely for income while the multi strategy has element of growth and income. Spoke to Macquarie, the person there was plugging the multi strategy fund because it gives you exposure to more of their funds with the ability to move allocations around between all those funds when some are performing better than others.

Interesting to see ANZ yesterday that went ex dividend and the share price dropped by more than double the dividend. Not the ideal in terms of the income timing fund.

11. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the Macquarie Newton Multi-Strategy is available through discount brokers? ie the ones that rebate entry fees etc. I've looked at fundbroker.com.au and pida.com.au and can't see it.

OR

If I invest via Macquarie do they rebate entry fees?

Edit: OK I think I've got one http://www.xavax.biz/newton.html. But these guys seem a bit dodgy, what does "up to 2%" rebate mean? 0.001%?

12. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

13. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Ah you beat me! Thanks :)

14. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

I downloaded the PDS and loan forms straight from Macq, about to mail them off tomorrow. No advise fees I believe.

The Maq Enhanced Income Fund I think is tied to FF, but I elected not to go with that product.

15. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

16. KevinH

KevinH Well-Known Member