Managed Funds Macquarie Newton and Asia Funds

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by crc_error, 2nd May, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

As an investor I'm not concerned about 'alignment of interest' with a fund promoter, to me that's purely a marketing term. Of course a promoter will want any fund they are putting their own money in or even if they aren't; to go up, why wouldn't they?

I'm more interested in 'alignment of risk', an outlay of 2% of net worth in a fund will hardly carry the same weight as someone choosing it as a primary investment vehicle.

At the updates I can't remember hearing a weighting given for suggested investments. I understand you should get this if you are a FF investment client, and certainly Peter has an admirable pie chart going personally.

** edit.. Actually I remember... An 'As much as you can get!' weighting mentioned for the buy write fund... It was such an opportunity, I'm pretty darn sure there was no portfolio limit mentioned at the time, but could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd May, 2007
  2. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Insight

I seem to recall something similar at the investor update I attended last year 'as much as you can get' :)

Gazza

3. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Hi All

A friend of mine went to the update prior to the recent one where someone was trying to ask questions about the lak of performance.

Peter just rubbished him to such an extent that my friend walk out in disgust. What do they say if something good happens you tell 4 people if something bad you tell 10 people.

Based on the newton performance I will certainly never follow any recommendations made by that organisation. Prior to this I avoided Maq just because of their fees and charges I should have stayed true to my earlier decision:(

Cheers

4. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

that was when he was doing the kart wheels and hand stands on stage right! hehe

I think its a joke when he says 'mortgage the kitties' 'once in a life time' opportunity to get into Newton, then it performs, and continues to perform recently, really disappointingly, when the rest of the market is making a killing!

How can you NOT make money in todays market!

5. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

6. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

You would be better off just writing a cheque for all your savings and sending it straight to Freeman Fox - that will save allot of stuffing about with the ruby, gold, platinum clubs ;)

I once attended one of Peter Spanns seminars and was absolutely amazed at the fee's involved to get into any of the investments (such as the Macq Newton products). But of course they run with the "spin" that if your making some good dollars what does it matter if you pay them fees for a good job.
    Read the book "common sense on mutual funds" by john bogle if you want an eye opener at how fees effect your end-wealth.

7. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

crc_error

I wouldn't have expected these funds to be amongst the top performers (given the fee structure and the cost of the capital guarentee) but would have expected them, given the market conditions over the last year, to outperform the interest rate by a good few percentage points.

That's another question someone could ask PS at his update, if the funds have not performed very well in almost ideal market conditions, how does he expect them to perform when the market returns to be more normal trading conditions?

gazza

8. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Leandro - would be great if you can let us know Peter's response here and your thoughts. I know you LUV crunching the numbers.

9. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I have no trouble taking a shot at asking this question at the wealth magic course, even though it isn't an investor update and it is still a while away (August).

However, i primarily am going to the event to further my financial education and not really planning on buying into any of his products. My reason for this is that i am currently executing a plan that i have put together with my planner at NavraInvest, that said i have read Peter's book but never seen him in person and he is someone i believe i can learn from even if half of the time he is promoting a product. :)

10. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

Its always better to invest in a hedge fund manager than the hedge fund itself! :D
    Just recently there's been some articles in the financial press about how the hedge fund industry is generasting so many billionaires - all of them are hedge fund managers of course.

11. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Freeman Fox are Broadcasting thier latest Investor Update at the Sheraton if you are in Perth (MAY 14th)

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.