Managed Funds managed fund gearing ratio

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by dreamland, 14th Oct, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dreamland

dreamland Member

HI,

After a few hiccups with margin lending, I have finally transferred my existing
    securities to BT, and by next week, I will have additional units in the fund via margin lending.

There is however one thing I don't understand.

I have requested 50% lending ratio and on market value of $58K I can borrow $82K
    I thought 50% meant another $58K.

I have on my statment a loan limit that Bt have put down as $41116.
    Not sure where they got this from.

Any help would be appreciated as this is all new to me.

thanks

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

That figure would be the amount of cash you can draw out of your LOC.

If you purchased more units in a fund using some of that LOC, those funds would also be assigned a margin value which would increase that loan limit, and hence you could potentially purhcase a LOT more than $41116 worth of funds or shares.

If you have $58K of your own funds in there, and you borrow another $58K to buy more units, your LVR is 50%, and if those funds (like Navra) give a 70% margin value, your $116K of funds now have a margin value of $81.2K, you've borrowed $58K, so you still have $81.2K - $58K = $23.2K available in your LOC.

I know it's a bit confusing, but it is logical. I don't bother to look at that figure about how much I've got available, I just focus on the LVR ... if I keep my LVR around 50% or only slightly higher, I know I can continually just buy more and more units (assuming they are assigning a 70% margin value like they do for Navra).

Basically, for every $5,000 of cash you transfer to your margin account, you can purchase $10,000 worth of units in the fund (at 50% LVR).

3. dreamland

dreamland Member

HI Sim,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

It is a nice surprise that I can get $80K margin lending , instead of the original $60K that I thought at 50% lend.

I still don't quite understand how it works, but as long as I am at 50% I am happy.

Thanks Sim