Managed Funds Managed fund tools

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Stonewall, 24th Sep, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

After tools that spit out useful information about my funds (CFS plaform). The CFS "Firstnet" website is mediocre in a number of ways:
    In particular:
    it is not updated regulary - usually 2-3 business days behind
    it doesn't clearly display (on the consumer end) the actual make up of a portfolio (au shares, int. shares, income, global resources etc)

I found
    https://www.investsmart.com.au
    Its gives useful information - though its interface to manually enter all the fund values is a bit clunky.

Anyone use anything else? (I assume commsec/e-trade are pretty good - I might end up joining)

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Gimme a few more weeks and I'll have something for you :D (I've been flat out building stuff for the past couple of months - first version is almost ready to launch).

It might help me if you could explain what type of information about your funds you want to see!

3. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Stonewall,

CFS funds are usually mandates and not the wholesale version but slight variant to the w/s funds. This is probably why there is a couple of days delay. The fund manager is going to look after the wholesale fund first and then the other mandates.

Cheers,

Dan

4. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

ohhh exciting times.....cant wait to have a look at this little puppy...

5. Simon Hampel

"It might help me if you could explain what type of information about your funds you want to see!" :D

6. DaveA__

% gains would be my absolultly number one love... additionally easy access to the underlying data that creates the graph incase we want to manipulate it a way you have...

i love the way you do the moving averages coz i have no idea how to effectively do that...

with out sorta seeing what you have got its a bit hard to think about it... i guess something how much the funds are beating the index over a time frame in a graph would be cool to....

7. Simon Hampel

okay ...

% gains: done
    Moving Averages: done
    Index Comparisons: on the to-do list, probably v0.2

v0.1 will have charts (including moving averages), plus historic yearly and quarterly % gains tables/charts and some basic fund profile information. This is almost finished (coupla days)

v0.2 I'll start working on comparisons, both fund vs fund and fund vs index

v0.3 I'll do performance tables, allowing you to compare a number of funds against various criteria

... the biggest issue is access to data - unless I'm willing/able to pay for quality data (prices start at around $15Kpa :eek: ), I'm stuck with what I can gather directly from the fund manager websites. I've already found that this info isn't always complete, so I'm having to fill in a few of the blanks by "interpolating" (which is computer/mathematical speak for "guessing").

There are also fund managers out there who don't provide any historical data on their websites at all :(

8. DaveA__

Yes i know some of the issues with data, one of the most frustrating thing ive found, i know ubs & australian unity will give it to you if u ring up and ask, however ing & bt who only leave it up for 30 days im not too sure ....

cant wait for v2, will blow my excel spreadsheet out of the water..

9. Simon Hampel

I also intend to build a portfolio management tool that allows you to track your investments and margin loans and calculates capital gains on sales and various statistical info on your portfolio returns.

Once this is done I get to throw all MY spreadsheets away :D

10. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

Hey Sim,

Is this going to be a web service or a desktop application?

I think this sounds great, and i would be willing to give it a go. I think the best way forward would be to release v0.1, and then i am sure you will get lots of request for certain features or for improvement of existing features. :)

11. Simon Hampel

It's going to be a "web application" ... I only say it like that because "web service" has a specific meaning in the IT industry, and this isn't one of them!

It will be 100% web based - nothing required on your desktop other than a recent browser (I test in both IE and Firefox ... although most modern standards compliant browsers will work). You'll also need Flash installed for the charts to work - but most people will have this already.

12. DaveA__

Is your aim at the end of the day to sell this program? Or maybe boost the traffic to this website?

Surely your not such a kind hard to put so much work in for limited in return, Either way where all very appreciated...

13. TechMan

Hey Sim,

Yeah i meant web application, sorry about that, i should know better. Sounds great. Is your objective for it to eventually be a paid service?

14. Simon Hampel

It is a separate venture to InvestEd - although I will be encouraging people who use my new site to come over to InvestEd for discussion and education about investing.

I haven't finalised my business plans yet - but I do intend to offer at least some of the functionality for free for non-commercial use. The question as to whether I need to charge for access to the premium features depends on whether I can make enough money from other sources (eg advertising or some kind of licensing arrangement), and whether I need to source premium data services to make the site more complete and the data more accurate.

If there is enough interest, I may have two versions - the free version uses the data I can source directly from the fund manager websites, and then a charged membership version where people pay for access to the premium data and premium features of the site.

Which of course leads to the question - what would people pay for, and how much would you be willing to pay?

15. TechMan

Fair enough.

I guess it will be hard to determine a price, until you start using the application and determine it's worth to your strategy.

16. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

need beta testers Sim? I have navra retain and cfs aust geared share fund I could test it with.

I'm in IT as a helpdesk analyst for LogicaCMG, if you want analytical techie types to take a sticky beak