Managed Investment Question

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by kizz, 28th Mar, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kizz

kizz Member

Hi,

I'm playing around with the % for funds allocation in my Managed Investment Fund, and had a couple of questions.

At the moment, i've got:
    1. Property Securities (40%)
    2. Global Resources (20%) and
    3. High Growth (40%)

The percentages are what goes into them every time I put money in, or I get distributions.

I've worked out, that from what I've invested, the Funds are down by:

1. Property Securities = -74%
    2. Global Resources = -38%
    3. High Growth = -31%

My question is:

1. Should I changed my allocations, so that more of my Distributions and money I put in myself go to say Property Securities or Global Resourses (as they've done the worst), so that I am technically buying a lot more units, and then when they recover that fund will be very healthy, or, change the percentages into High Growth as that fund hasn't done so bad, and then not worry too much about the other two?

What would you guys do? Advantaged/Dis-advantages?

Thanks.
    Paul.

2. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hi Paul

Lets get this straight from the start. Nobody can predict what asset classes will perform in the future. If you could, you'd be a Zillionaire!

In a major crash, every asset class starts to correlate. ei It all goes down.

The idea is to split your assets, according to your risk tolerance. A split between bond and shares. ei 40/60, 50/50, 60/40. Holding bonds does two things. a)bonds don't drop with shares. b) Because of a, you have less inclination to sell.

You should use all asset classes. They are: Cash, Fixed Interest, Bonds, Property, Aus shares(small and large), Foreign Shares(small and large), Foreign property and Bonds, Emerging markets, Global resources, and perhaps precious metals.

First work out your bond allocation. Then choose your asset mix. Rebalance at least once a year to lower risk. There are heaps of asset allocations you can find on the web to meet your personal requirements. I can get you some websites if you are interested.:)

Cheers, Johny.

3. kizz

kizz Member

Hi Johny,

That would be great, thanks :)

4. Johny_come_lately

5. Johny_come_lately

Just edited sites, should work.

J.

6. Johny_come_lately