Margin Loans Margin Loans - Who is the best lender?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by Sk3tChY, 6th Aug, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sk3tChY

Sk3tChY Well-Known Member

What do you think on my idea sim...

I'm prob gonna go with suncorp, and they have they're own platform called 'margin trader' I believe, which is similar to commsec I think.

I can probably monitor using that, but if not, i'd probably just record my buy price, and then monitor the current share prices via commsec. Then basically just use a calculator or spreadsheet to calculate what % i stand at...

Do you think this would be a good way of doing it?

2. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

I have margin loans with both St.George and Leveraged Equities. With LE, it is very easy to print out a one-page statement from their website, showing all relevant figures. So easy.........
    But, I find it just the opposite with StG......seems such a long-winded process to produce and print out a similar set of figures. I end up having to cut-and-paste into a Word document, then print.
    Does anyone else have this problem, or am I doing something wrong? Sim...?
    Thanks,
    Jayar

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

No idea - I don't trade shares, so I don't know what you'd need from your margin lender.

Shares are pretty easy to get data on ... just set up a portfolio watchlist in Yahoo finance - and copy the closing share prices to a spreadsheet at the end of each day. The spreadsheet would just have to show how many shares you hold in each company to calculate the current worth, and you can get your current loan balance from your margin lender to calculate your LVR.

It doesn't have to be complicated unless you like to do all sorts of other analysis such as growth/income profit figures, annualised return on investment, return on capital, equity increase on capital over last year, etc etc.

4. Simon Hampel

LevEq do a nice online version of their paper statements, which is nice. St.George don't.

I wouldn't get too concerned about it either way given how out of date the figures usually are anyway !!

Just keep your own records for the number of units you hold, and check the margin lender site just for changes to your loan balance (naturally they manage to keep that figure up to date !!!).

5. Sk3tChY

Naw I wouldnt be complicating things, I like to work on the KISS theory. :p

I'll prob juz monitor them over commsec, all I'd really wanna do is see how much i've gained/lost to know where I stand.

cheers sim.

6. craig__

craig__ Member

Hi.

Does anyone use Macquaire Prime? It looks like a margin lender, up to 95% lend on some shares but no managed funds, cash account offset, 6.5% interest on +ve cash, 8.95% margin interest.

Craig.

7. Sk3tChY

Whats +ve cash? I want 6.5% interest!! :eek:

8. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I think they pay this to you if you have cash in the CMT account.

9. Sk3tChY

Cash Management T??? account..? :p

Is that a savings acc or summin...

10. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Cash Management Trust I think. A way you can use cash as security rather than putting it into the loan. They take it as security at 100%.

Useful if you have some cash earmarked for personal use so you don't contaminate the margin loan.

11. craig__

craig__ Member

With theirs you have a cash account that offsets your loan account. If the cash account is more than the loan account (+ve cash) they pay 6.5% interest on daily balance difference.

Craig.

12. Sk3tChY

So rather than using already purchased shares / mf units as security, you use cash?

13. Sk3tChY

Why would you have more cash in the account than what you have loaned out? Wouldn't yo use that equity to get a larger loan and re-invest... :s

14. craig__

craig__ Member

I was merely pointing out their account features. You can use existing shares and cash as security and as Simon pointed out you may have cash you don't want to invest or pollute the loan with but either save interest or earn reasonable interest on.

Which other margin lender has a cash a/c that 100% offsets the loan and pays 6.5% interest if it exceeds the loan in one a/c?

Craig.

15. Sk3tChY

Whats do you mean by pollute/contaminate the loan..?

16. Simon Hampel

Mixing personal and investment use of the loan so that tax becomes a nightmare (and you possibly lose deductibility of more than you intended).

17. craig__

craig__ Member

We're getting a bit off-topic here but simply if you use personal funds to reduce an investment loan you'll annoy your accountant because he will have to apportion the non-deductible interest from the deductible interest, for the life of the loan, when you borrow the personal funds back. It is easier to use the offset account.

Craig.

oh Sim beat me to the punch...

18. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

does anybody know of, or have a margin loan which you can use Bpay with? Timing of the market with funds would be alot easier (espically with perpetual, where you can just bpay amounts and they get it alot quicker)

19. Simon Hampel

You mean draw down funds from your margin account directly to purchase additional fund units using BPay ? I don't know anyone who would let you do that - the margin lender would want to retain control over what is purchased to ensure you don't go over limits and such.

Of course if they had a fully integrated online system, it would be theoretically possibly to set something like this up which also took into consideration buffer limits and such - but I've not seen a margin lender who is that advanced yet - I was quite surprised when I found out how manual (and slow !!) their processes generally are :(

20. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

ANZ does it. Well, they did it for me anyway.

Mark