Market down 1.7% so far today

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Simon Hampel, 5th Oct, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I hope NavraInvest are on their toes ... buying up oversold stocks !

1.7% drop in half a days trade is the largest I can remember over the last couple of months. Will be interesting to see where the market goes from here.

A 5%+ drop followed by a 10%+ rise by the end of the quarter would suit me well :D

2. Andrew__

Andrew__ Member

Anybody have an insight as to why this happened today? Were investors/institutions
    expecting an interest rate change today? Have the wheels come off or is this just
    a 'normal' correction?

andy

3. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Andrew

I don't have any insights, other than to observe that some big movements in market heavyweights like BHP tend to drag the whole index down... gee that sounds like stating the blindingly obvious doesn't it :eek:

The timing it quite good really. The Navra distribution will be out to those taking it in cash soon and will be available to tip back into a hopefully still depressed market...

N.

4. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Sim,

Nice one. Lets see how the "black box" performs under these conditions. Should be right up their alley. I spoke to Michelle Lowbeer in the Sydney office last week and she mentioned there was a lot of cash in the fund at the moment due to the highs its reached. A nice little downward correction should allow some of that cash to get back in to equities.

Not sure whether my money's in the fund yet, but it will be pretty soon if not already. All the doc's are in with NFS including the application for leveraged $$ from LE.

Cheers,
    Michael.

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Sim,
    Just my guess - but might be too early for Steve to buy back...

Andrew,

Interest on hold.

Also :
    Austr Dollar - down
    Nikkei down 0.41%
    Heng Seng down - 1.12%
    DJIA down - 0.9%
    FTSE down - 1.13 %
    ASX 200 down 85 points so far ( 8 min to go ).
    :cool:

6. Simon Hampel

Tropo - I would be surprised if they were NOT buying ... a 2% market drop is a great opportunity ... especially if the market goes +1% or more the next day.

Remember they don't try and predict what the market will do - they only react to it.

My understanding is that the NavTrade system buys progressively more and more (ie larger amounts) the lower a share goes, so with a day like today - they would have started off buying a certain amount, and then as it dropped lower towards the end of the day, they would have bought larger amounts.

Of course, they do the opposite in a rising market - sell of small amounts as it starts to go up, and sell off progressively larger and larger amounts as the price gets higher and higher.

Of course, the actual timings and percentages and all that is where the "secret ingredient" comes into it !

7. MichaelW

Sim,

I hate watching all this happen whilst not yet being in! :p Ah well, I'll be in by the middle of next week and believe there's even more interesting times ahead...

Cheers,
    Michael.

8. Simon Hampel

You'll probably get the benefits of lower unit prices Michael - good timing :D

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Tropo - I would be surprised if they were NOT buying ... a 2% market drop is a great opportunity ... especially if the market goes +1% or more the next day.

Remember they don't try and predict what the market will do - they only react to it.

My understanding is that the NavTrade system buys progressively more and more (ie larger amounts) the lower a share goes, so with a day like today - they would have started off buying a certain amount, and then as it dropped lower towards the end of the day, they would have bought larger amounts.

Of course, they do the opposite in a rising market - sell of small amounts as it starts to go up, and sell off progressively larger and larger amounts as the price gets higher and higher.

Of course, the actual timings and percentages and all that is where the "secret ingredient" comes into it !

SIM...
    I am aware of NavTrade system...
    Too early means ..... if US market go down tonight ... ASX will follow (OZ market follow US market most of the time), so NavTrade team might get better level ( lower ) to buy back say ... on the open IF market gap down...

10. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Do not panic yet .... :D

Today's pullback is not substantial enough to change the trend ( still up ! ).
    Three major supports :

1) approx: 4400 points
    2) " 4330 "
    3) " 4235 " ( To be OR not to be ..... ).

11. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

She'll still crack 5000 by the end of 2005 :cool:

12. Steve Navra

Steve Navra Well-Known Member

Great day on the market :)

Beat the market by 0.60% for the day and managed to spend $8.6 million!

Currently at 9.02%
    SP 200 at 6.22%

The distributions for the quarter ended Sept 2005:

Retail = 5.3%
    Wholesale = 5.4%

Happy days and hopefully an even bigger decline tomorrow.

Steve

13. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Hiya Steve,
    What do these equate to in cents per unit for the retail and wholesale - around 4.5 to 5c ?

Interesting day on the market (worst in 3 years) , looking forward to the next few weeks to see how much the fund outperforms the ASX200 :D :D

14. Steve Navra

Steve Navra Well-Known Member

To the best of my recollection:

5.9c per unit wholesale = 5.4%
    5.8c per unit retail = 5.3%

I really don't mind if the market is going up or down . . . as long as it is going up or down ;) (VOLATILITY)

The volatility creates the opportunity to beat the S&P 200 index.

I dream of rollercoasters :D

Regards,
    Steve

15. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Let me see........5.8c per unit x Units held.........will it be enough to clear the mortgage?

Checking.......checking.......checking.....

YES!!!!! :D :D :D

Now if we can just sort out where we're going to move to :confused: , we'll get the next mortgage.... :rolleyes: :D

16. Simon Hampel

Now THAT's what I call shopping :cool:

17. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Very nice Steve !! :D :D
    Now maybe you can explain to me how the distribution has been worked out in relation to the unit price here?

18. Bob__

Bob__ Well-Known Member

rollercoasters

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Navra
    To the best of my recollection:

5.9c per unit wholesale = 5.4%
    5.8c per unit retail = 5.3%

I really don't mind if the market is going up or down . . . as long as it is going up or down (VOLATILITY)

The volatility creates the opportunity to beat the S&P 200 index.

I dream of rollercoasters

Regards,
    Steve

I'll start dreaming of rollercoasters too....thanks Steve to you and your team for a good job. Free beer is coming your way, as soon as I get the distribution

Bob

19. MichaelW

Alan,

Well done! That must feel pretty unreal huh...

Great stuff,
    Michael.

20. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

3) " 4235 " ( To be OR not to be ..... ) = :D