Managed Funds Master trusts - anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by transit, 18th Apr, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. transit

transit Well-Known Member

Hiya, does anyone here use master trusts to invest in managed funds?

As i understand it, the benefit of a master trust is that you can access wholesale funds which have lower ongoing fees and also switch around between the sub trusts with minimal cost and paperwork.

Or is it better to invest directly in a MF if you intend to have your $ in that particular fund for a certain period of time?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Although it does depend on what you intend to invest in, I found that the savings in fees you gain by investing in wholesale funds through master trusts were largely eroded by the extra fees you pay for the master trust itself.

Perhaps it varies enough that there are some funds worth investing in through this platform (I only looked a while ago, and have not really looked since)... and it probably is worthwhile if you can't meet the minimum investment requirement of the wholesale fund you are interested in (and there is no equivalent retail fund).

3. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Yeah in my limited experience I found the wrapping fees were higher than the difference between the wholesale and retail management costs of the funds. But you do get consolidated billing, but it often takes until late August each year to get them.