ETF Me! Again... (fund help)

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by shouldisell, 22nd Jul, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

Great. I hated filling in those forms :)

I just checked, and my Westpac eSaver account is currently earning 7.05%. My Macquarie account is at 7.25% (I think) and the netwealth is currently at 7.10%.
    The netwealth account is variable. I'm not sure about the Macquarie cash account. The difference probably isn't worth fussing over, and isn't really worth holding numerous accounts all over the place for either.
    Can I use the netwealth cash account to hold savings in?
    Are there any restrictions to leaving money there for interest purposes?

Thanks mate :)

2. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

with netwealth you can also invest into term deposts, and they pay 8.1% for 6 months.. but the money isn't accessable.

The cash account is a place to have money ready for investing..

looks like the market is running now! I hope its not just a bull trap!

3. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi CRC and Compleks,

Currently 8.10% for CASH (dragondirect -) or 8.6% for term deposits for 12 months (Interest Rates - St.George Bank)

Cheers,

Dan

PS Before making a decision read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement.

4. shouldisell

I haven't had a chance to follow up on anything yet. I wrote to Netwealth about changing my funds over, but haven't heard back. I may have to give them a call later in the week when I get a chance.

Anyway.. I'm considering putting everything under the netwealth platform for ease of management. I want to set up a few basic funds and make automated contributions across a few of these funds.

I'm not going to worry about shares etc... at this stage. But at least I will have the option should I change my mind in the future.

5. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

I am considering the following funds myself via netwealth for regular contributions:

452 Australian Share 30%
    Platinum International Fund (or BlackRock Hedged Global Titans Fund) 15%
    Hunter Hall - Global Ethical Trust 15%
    BlackRock Asset Allocation Alpha Fund (or MQ Asia Long Short) 20%
    Colliers 20%

I'm also considering a unlisted direct property fund in the mix to lower volatility of the portfolio and get some high dividends. Like Cromwell or Orchard property trusts.

All those funds should operate reasonable independant of each other, so will lower volatility of my fund portfolio.

The other option I'm thinking of is just choosing 1 quality australia share fund and thats it.

6. shouldisell

Well I guess my next step will be selecting a fund or funds to invest in.

I think I want to keep the Geared Aus share fund. But I'm not sure how to structure myself. I think a good high growth fund might be a good idea.

Not sure really....

7. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Aug, 2008
  8. shouldisell

Thanks mate.

I just had a look over the Investment WRAP PDS and application forms... Not looking forward to filling those in.

Have you filled in your application yet, or are you still thinking about it?

9. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

I have setup a netwealth account for my super at present, money got rolled over a couple days ago.

10. shouldisell

These forms are an absolute nightmare.

Transferring my existing funds is proving to be much more hassle than it's worth. I think it would be easier if I withdrew the money (no profit, so no CGT) and simply re-invested once my Netwealth account is opened...
    Would that be a problem?

11. shouldisell

Oh, and when I provide a 'certified copy' of my drivers license. Can I simply get a photocopy signed by someone who meets the requirements, or do I need to get a special copy made???

12. shouldisell

Okay last one...

Can I open an account without investing immediately into a fund? Is the cash account opened automatically, or is that a separate feature with its own application process?

13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I don't understand why you aren't just keeping your existing investments and adding to them?

What is it about your existing investments that make you want to change?

14. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

if there is no CGT, then the only other cost you will pay is the buy and sell spread cost.

I haven't transferred in funds, so I don't know how it works.

how did you go with selecting funds to invest in? what did you choose?

15. shouldisell

It's not so much the investments, though I'm down about 50% (which I'm not overly concerned about). I'm not all that happy with the funds I'm in, but it's more so that I like the NetWealth facility.
    I would like to consolidate everything under one platform where I can easily manage everything and make contributions periodically. I know I can do this through the CFS platform, but I think in the long run Netwealth looks like a better service.

I'm considering selling out of the two property funds, and putting them into the 542 Geared Aus share fund, or into a high growth fund. I need to set up regular contributions on order to keep things moving.

As for the fund selection, CRC, I'm still not entirely sure. I want a good Australian share fund (probably stick with the 542?) and a good long term growth fund. Then maybe an emerging markets or something with a lesser percentage invested.

Cheers.

16. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

its good to have property exposure, but listed property is simply a sector on the stock market.

I would look at a unlisted property fund like cromwell or orchard which buy direct commercial property.. this will give you a allocation into a sector not correlated witht he stock market.

17. shouldisell

Can I / should I still nominate InvestSmart as my Investment Advisor?

Will that work through this application process?
    Will I still receive trailing commissions from Invest Smart?

Cheers.

18. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

forget about investsmart, its a waste of time.. they keep the first $400 worth of commissions, that would mean you would need about $100,000 invested before you would see any money.. since most funds pay about 0.5% commission.

I do think you can nominate advisers though.

19. shouldisell

haha, I didn't know that.

I thought I would be getting my $20 in the mail :)
    oh well. Is there any other advisor I should look into? Or should I just not bother with it?

20. shouldisell

Well I think I made a complete mess of the application forms but I've just posted them off 15minutes ago.

There is a $50 fee (per asset) for transferring existing assets into Netwealth. I figure I might aswell wear the $150 fee and hope that this move gets me going in the right direction and saves me more trouble down the track.

So, now I'm going to wait and see if my application is processed, then set up a regular contribution plan and maybe change some of my investment options.

Thanks for all the help everyone

:)