Join our investing community

Melbourne dweller - Born Canberra

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by programmer, 29th May, 2007.

1. programmer

programmer New Member

Hi all, my name is Michael and although I've been aware of InvestEd since its inception (SomerSoft Forums poster) I've never quite got around to registering.

I invest in direct property and equities. I'm over 40 (just) but don't let than get me down. I have an IT background (programming - funny that...) but am currently studying a Masters in Financial Planning.:eek: Just deal with it...

I'm here to learn much, and hopefully help ocassionally.

Cheers, Michael:)

2. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Hi Michael and welcome.

Mate, life starts at 40 (or so I am told). Just keep repeating it to yourself and you might start to believe it (like I do!).

Good to have you on board. Do you invest in equities directly or through managed funds? If directly, how do you choose the companies?

Cheers,

Steve (who also hit 40 a little while ago, but feels great about life!:D )

3. programmer

programmer New Member

Hi Steve, that "I invest in direct property and equities" probably should have read; "I invest in direct property and DIRECT equities".

I've been investing in equities for about 15 years. I got interested in capitalism generally from a very early age and even tried to sell my sisters stuff for a profit when I was about 8 (as she so nicely proclaimed at my wedding).:D

I'm a fundamentals investor. I don't get involved in charting/tech analysis and the like. I'm also definately an investor as opposed to a trader.

Sources? A variety;

- Newspapers (with 10 Oz of scepticism)
    - Invest mags (with 9 Oz of scepticism). Although in the last 5-7 years I've probably only bought 10 mags as IMO they're often useless and concentrate on fads, re-writes, what the masses are doing, and what the M/Fund Managers are doing.
    - Research pubs (like CommSec Research Insight) again, with only 8 Oz of scepticism.
    - and newsletters like Intelligent Investor etc.
    - Lastly, and most importantly to me, my own research/judgement and 'gut feel' via experience.

I choose Co's based on their business model and competency of management. I research companies and try to get to 'know' them. I'm a person that needs to understand their business. I pay some attention to PE's, but probably should pay a little more... There are other areas I look at too, but lets keep it brief(er).

I'm not absolutely opposed to managed funds. I think they're great for set/forget investors and those that have little experience. Further, there have been some brilliant ones, and experienced investors have (and continue to) invest in them (look how PAM just floated) but generally, I go direct.

Thanks for the welcome, cheers

4. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Michael and welcome :)

A masters in FP, hey? Wow- you are serious :D

So, tell me about your direct property experience- have you invested only in ACT or ventured to other parts of the world?

5. programmer

programmer New Member

I started the Dip FP courses and although OK, I didn't want to stuff around so I thought I'd just go the whole hog - as they say... I also did it because I personally think many FP's (but not all) are product salespersons and that's not IMO what FP is about. I see lots of opportunities in the coming years for planners that actually 'help'. I really feel for the competent, qualified, and commited planners out there that are getting a really hard time at present.

It's true, there are those that are plain terrible. Too easily however, many people turn a blind eye to incompetent and/or one-eyed Acountants, 'property gurus' etc etc. I see many having a dig at planners but failing to recognise that their Mortgage Broker (for example) is often attempting to give advice they really should not. Honestly, there's no 'dig' at any of the above professions - I use a MB often! Just that I wish some people would remove their blinkers and start to treat each case/person on merit (or otherwise).:) I'm not hung-up on qualifications, just thought I'd better get serious about something I've wanted to do for a fair while - and I'm enjoying it.

Property? Bought in Canberra a L O N G time ago and also in Melbourne. I've been looking at SA and QLD but am having a hard time finding value. Must admit, haven't been looking really seriously.