Monday's Market

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by TwoDogs, 15th Jul, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

After the 2.3% drop Friday, and with all the nasties still happening around the world, do the share market gurus on this forum has any thoughts on what might happen Monday? More chaos selling or bargain buying ?

I wasn't ready to buy when the market dipped in June. Now, the distributions I didn't give to the vet may be going into more units in NI if the price is right. But it takes a couple of days from sending forms to the margin lender until the units are purchased so I like to see a bit of a trend in the market before committing.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Dow was down another 1% overnight - so I expect some more downwards pressure here on Monday.

With oil prices skyrocketing and greater pressure on interest rates, I'm thinking the market will be a bit subdued (or more the point, range bound) for a while yet. But I'm certainly no expert!

I'd be surprised if we saw a strong down trend - I suspect more that the markets will remain volatile between around 4800 - 5200 for a while. I have no evidence or figures to back that up - it's purely speculation.

3. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

I know nuthink.

But, - it's hard to see the markets rising on Monday. If there's anymore excitement in the Middle East tonight there could be a decent drop though.

Does anyone know if you can arrange an increase in an investment through a margin lender to be put into a holding pattern?

That is, could the instruction be submitted and then be put on hold awaiting the go-ahead from the investor through a phone call, fax or e-mail for instance?

I like to pick the exact timing of my direct share investments, it would be great to be able to to this with my margin loan as well.

4. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Great idea, that's what I could use. It's hard to buy at the best time with the delays using margin loans. Just like with property, you can make your money when you buy, not just sell, and when the market is down over 2% for no good reason, I would like to able to pounce with MF purchase as with shares.

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Weekly XJO

XJO is still in the 3 years range (see attachment)
    :cool:

Attached Files:

6. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Thanks Tropo,

That helps put my mind at ease a bit in these turbulunt times... :)

Michael.

7. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

No worries.
    Well....Market is very choppy right now.:eek:
    Watch below numbers:
    XJO = 4906/02; 4758 and 4680 reasonable strong support (should hold ?).
    :cool: