Join our investing community

Money paid to a job agency tax deduction

Discussion in 'Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by 5602, 18th Oct, 2011.

  1. 5602

    5602 Member

    8th Nov, 2009
    Sydney, NSW
    Hi all who read this,

    I have a question on whether I can claim payment of $800 I made to an overseas working holiday company.

    The situation is - A few months back I secured an overseas ski field job and paid a standard agency 'package' fee in the process. The job was to start this November, but in the meantime I landed a great job here in Australia and decided stay for the long term career prospects and hence declined the ski field job. I cannot get the $800 back from the agency as it is within the agreement that if you decline a job offer, you don't get it back. No harm done there.

    What I am wondering is whether it is possible to claim this $800 on my tax under any sections? I figure it is an expense I incurred in order to make money in future, sort of like an investment expense. Only I can't see anywhere I could claim it.

    Is this a possible deduction?

    If any further info is needed let me know, and many thanks in advance for any help! :)
  2. MattR

    MattR Well-Known Member

    23rd May, 2007
    Short answer is "No". I actually think it wouldn't even be deductible should you have accepted and taken the ski job, but no doubt the agency told you it was.