Money paid to a job agency tax deduction

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by 5602, 18th Oct, 2011.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 5602

5602 Member

Hi all who read this,

I have a question on whether I can claim payment of $800 I made to an overseas working holiday company.

The situation is - A few months back I secured an overseas ski field job and paid a standard agency 'package' fee in the process. The job was to start this November, but in the meantime I landed a great job here in Australia and decided stay for the long term career prospects and hence declined the ski field job. I cannot get the $800 back from the agency as it is within the agreement that if you decline a job offer, you don't get it back. No harm done there.

What I am wondering is whether it is possible to claim this $800 on my tax under any sections? I figure it is an expense I incurred in order to make money in future, sort of like an investment expense. Only I can't see anywhere I could claim it.

Is this a possible deduction?

If any further info is needed let me know, and many thanks in advance for any help! :)

2. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

Short answer is "No". I actually think it wouldn't even be deductible should you have accepted and taken the ski job, but no doubt the agency told you it was.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.