most locks are not secure

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Handyandy, 4th Jun, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Reported on Today tonight a method of unlocking any lock using a procedure called 'key bumping'.

In brief they file down a normal key to have exaggerated valleys and rises. Insert this modified key in the lock pull it slightly back and then as you apply some slight rotational pressure hit the key fully into the lock. Two or three times and you have opened the door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDR-...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTVB...elated&search=

Most common locks are susceptible and this method leaves no clue.

If tenants have seen this show then we may start getting an avalanche of complaints of insufficient security.

Unfortunately the alternative to these locks are the higher security locks which have side bars that provide resistance to the pins jumping. It would me substantial expense in changing over and then a numbered key system with $15-$20 keys. I still haven't absolutely determined the cheapest alternative but will be speaking to some locksmiths tomorrow. (I am just in the process of replacing 16 fire doors with appropriate locks etc - I want to get it right[​IMG])

Cheers

2. thinkbig

thinkbig Member

Carrying a set of bump keys around doesn't fall into the 'crimes of opportunity' cateogory. I'm of the view that if someone wants to get in they will. Bump keys have been around for ages but only recently the media has raised there profile.

A house brick will open most windows when used in the correct manner...:rolleyes:

I reckon a simple alarm system is still the best deterrent as the opportunistic crook will just move on to an easier target...

3. Handyandy

Your points are very valid and pertinent to a person intent on break and enter, nothing is going to stand in his way.

The problem arises because of the publicity and unfortunately younger people (teenagers) simply setting out to open locks for fun. As they say locks only keep honest people out the young people then having opened the door could then be tempted to 'explore' and lift whatever they fancy.

I was discussing this today where the point was made about locksmiths and their little pick gun. I have seen locksmiths use these and open a lock in seconds but the pick guns are only available to locksmiths and are highly regulated. Unfortunately the 'bump' keys are available to anybody for about $3usd per key, conversely you can make your own in a matter of minutes.

In either case these bump key now potentially present an irresistable temptation for those who want to cause mischieve and would not dream of breaking in but simply unlocking the door is another matter.

Cheers

4. arandomperson

arandomperson Member

5. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

thats a crack, i love it

i was speaking to someone today who said its only the cheap locks that are affected, upon testing TT and the "inventors" havent cracked a lockwood yet, and there is another lock as well i think it starts with H...

as always you get what you pay for...

6. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

Actually, the biggest concern with this technique is that it actually works better on high end locks.
    Unless the lock has specific security measures to prevent 'bumping', then it really doesn't matter how much you spend.

7. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

After doing searchs on the net, apparently brands like Abloy, Bilock and Evva are bumping proof. I wonder how much it would cost just to make a spare key for this locks. But if it gives me a peace of mind it's good enough reason to get one.

8. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

I have used Bilock's before, they seemed very good. Bumping aside, i also liked the feature that you needed to get these keys electronically cut by an authorised locksmith. While this is more expensive when you need a key, it is an extra security measure.

9. Handyandy

After discussions with a locksmith genrally the resticted key tumblers are bump proof through the use of alternate springs within the lock which effectively stop the ability of the pins to 'jump'.

The qouted price was $80 for the lock (the body) then a further $75 for the tumbler (the bit the key goes into). On top of this there would be a charge of $11 per key.

Cheers

10. benneh

benneh Member

gee today tonight sure do cover the "breaking stories" urrgh sensationalism media at it's best.

considering it was just recently shown the same high security locks used in places like the white house can be bumped, I wouldn't hold much hope for any others.

Threat Level - Wired Blogs

locks are deterents, not preventative measures, the only real protection is an attack cat

[​IMG]

11. Aimjoy

Aimjoy Member

benneh,

OR perhaps The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog which is a fictional beast from the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail. According to Tim the Enchanter, it "[has] a vicious streak a mile wide!", as well as "nasty, big, pointy teeth!"

View attachment 364

Aimy

Attached Files:

12. transit

transit Well-Known Member

You can buy these pick guns for about US$20 on the internet and i doubt that customs would pick up on them.