My house is rendered!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ramone_johnny, 11th Dec, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ramone_johnny

ramone_johnny Well-Known Member

Just thought Id share some photos I took this afternoon of the house I am currently renovating. Its part way through being rendered, and looks amazingly different. Originally it had the tacky orange type brickwork that looked really dated, and now - well its beginning to look a bit more modern!

Cant wait to start painting the outside! :D

RJ

Attached Files:

2. ramone_johnny

Heres how it used to look. :)

RJ

Attached Files:

3. johnnyb

johnnyb Well-Known Member

Looks great RJ. I always find it amazing what a difference render can make to a property (a bit like a person's haircut).

What colour are you going to paint it?

John.

4. ramone_johnny

Gday John,
    Will be painting it chalk beige Id say so that it compliments the inside. Getting the roof done on Wednesday also.

RJ

5. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hiya RJ

How much did this end up costing you, if you don't mind me asking?

6. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

And what was the render ? Normal cement for one of the new products ?

7. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

And how long did it take to complete the rendering, i.e was it done all in one go or a couple of sessions?

8. ramone_johnny

Ok in answer to your questions...

I think the overall cost was around $4,500. Im not sure yet the invoice hasnt come in. Will let you know.

The actual render is a concrete base I believe - I have to go round and hose it down (as you would a concrete driveway) for the next few days once they finish up.

Total time taken - 3 days :D

RJ

9. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

That looks excellent RJ :) - bricks do look a bit yesterday these days hey ?

Out of rendering interest, we recently got quotes for rendering our place, was told about $30 per square metre for the 'normal' render, up to $45 per square metre for the Rockcote products that have the colour included in the mix, then coated with the Armor stuff to stop mould and mildew etc.

We went with the latter 'cos its a PPOR and wanted to stretch as many non-maintenance years outta it as possible (kids pushbikes bashing into wall corners etc tends to take its toll on the render), and are pretty happy with the result (its at http://www.invested.com.au/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=67&cat=500&ppuser=192) - except while I was out of town the renderer came back unexpectedly to apply the final finish and chose an ungodly pattern we never would have picked ourselves.

It was too hard to change, so instead we negotiated the bill down a bit ( I was all building-projected out by then :p) We're kind of used to it now. It definitely looks better than the brick anyway. There's a huge range of products to choose from now (some of the interesting stuff was on prodrange

Next time, I'll be asking for some more references and addresses of sample work. This guy had done our friend's place and done a really good job, but I think his standards slipped by the time he got to ours. It took some cleaning up afterwards.

Glad yours is going well though RJ ! Means you'll have a lot more hair than me I'd say, post project :)

Cheers
    Carl

10. ramone_johnny

Gday Carl,
    Your place on the farm is swish! Nice big windows and a lovely verandah. Be nice kicking back out there sipping a few coldies and telling some lies!

I think Ill be spending my xmas break painting the outside of the house - cant wait!

RJ

11. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Thanks mate - I like it now. I didn't like some of the farm chores earlier on, but you're right - a few coldies on the verandah (and maybe telling lies, I can't remember) seems to soothe away any aches and pains :) Yeah the big doors and windows are cool - but we got the Crimsafe security / flyscreen doors after we moved in, and man do they hurt when you hit them full tilt - damn things are hard to see when you're not used to them ! Lost a few coldies that way - s-p-l-a-t :p

12. vandalic

vandalic Active Member

You've done a great job RJ. I'm a huge fan of the rendered look.

13. ramone_johnny

Hey guys ill be grabbing some more photos of the house now that its painted and the roof is done. Will try to post em up soon.

RJ

14. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Member

Nice work Ramone. It's come up a treat.