Join our investing community

My new banner ad on realestate.com

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jacque, 15th Mar, 2006.

1. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

I'm very pleased to be finally able to announce that my banner ad is now up and running on realestate.com :)
    Only drawing everyone's attention to it so that someone takes notice!
    Check it out here: http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=bas&t=as-bag&s=nsw&cy=syd

Though I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have chosen a colour other than blue to stand out more. Perhaps Warm Mocha or Peppy Purple instead?Oh well, too late now..... no use getting the blues about it :D

2. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

That looks really good mate. the movement sure caught my eye!

3. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Looks great. Did Al do it for you?

ps. I didn't click on it as I assume it costs you money to do so :confused:

4. Maverick

Maverick Well-Known Member

Things to improve?

Hi,

Do not want to sound like a critic, but I things there is a place for improvement:

1) I understand that a slogan “Totally Independent Buyers’ Agent” is very important to your business. However, when “House Search Australia” is located in the top left corner (about 70-80 % of time the image continues), the slogan is not shown clearly enough.
    2) You may be limiting the options for potential clients to contact you by not displaying your phone number.

Good Luck!

5. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

He did :)
    It doesn't cost to click here, Nige. Feel free to click away!

6. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Appreciate the feedback :)
    I did consider putting a phone number, but so few of the competition does it and most interested parties would click through to my site straight away, so I didn't consider it necessary.
    I know the logo is a little small and, depending on what type of PC you're viewing it on, it can vary. Just have to live with it for now.
    Are you a graphic artist yourself Maverick? I recall seeing a site that offered cheap logo designs with a name like yours.

7. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Good one Jacque :)
    Hope it gets you lots of business :D

8. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque

Looks great ! The real impact takes a little while to sink in though, as the initial transitions are kind of ' light on light ' ...

Personally I think a 1 pixel wide border around it like the one above or below it would make it stand out a little bit against the surrounding competitors.

The last bit, and the 'click here', is nice and obvious :)

Best of luck with it
    Cheers
    Carl

9. TryHard

Hey again Jacque

I'd clicked the banner so browsed your website. Can I just suggest something ? The http://www.housesearchaustralia.com.au/fees/ page - its a bit hard to understand. Only because the details aren't linked back to the appropriate description of the services on the http://www.housesearchaustralia.com.au/services/. page

I just thought I'd mention it, in case a potential buyer went straight to fees and thought it was all too hard. Hyperlinking back to the services might be useful, from the fees page, (and vice versa) for those site visitors who refuse to follow the menu items in order :) Or put the whole lot on one page ?

Then again, it could just be my stupidity. Thought I best mention it anyway

Cheers
    Carl

10. MichaelWhyte

MichaelWhyte Well-Known Member

Jacque,

My work's firewall blocks pop-ups and banners so all I get is a little red cross. :(

Ah well, I'll have a look when I get home.

Only thought I'd post this as its something to consider when advertising on the internet. You're work-time audience may be significantly limited if most workplaces adopt the same approach as mine. Can't see it at all!

Cheers,
    Michael.

11. TryHard

Michael - just outta interest, do any of the banners on that page ( http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...ag&s=nsw&cy=syd ) show up or is it all just a big page of red crosses - just wondering if it only affects jacque's for some reason (I noticed some of the advertisers are using animated gif images and some are using flash animation - just wondering if one or the other behaves differently inside your work firewall ?)

Cheers
    Carl

12. MichaelWhyte

Carl,

None of them appear. My work's "Surf Control" blocks them all...

Makes reading SMH and hotmail and other online stuff wierd sometimes with big red crosses and surf control written everywhere.

Do many companies employ this sort of software to limit what their employees can do online? I'm dreading the day that they figure out I spend so much time here and on SS and ban those sites like they have eBay and others from any access by any employees.

Cheers,
    Michael.

13. Leandro

Leandro Well-Known Member

I believe many companies now just dont give internet access to employees who dont require it. If they grant access to the internet they may also block sites entirely like ebay, hotmail, if they believe they arent work related.

Blocking components such as flash, images etc is a stupid idea as you will be crippling/making unusable most of the sites on the internet which may need to be legimately used by an employee.

14. TryHard

I think more and more do, with the whole corporate responsibility / culpability / cost of bandwidth etc.

One of my ex-employers used to have some early innovation surfing control in place, but we used to get around it by visiting www.anonymizer.com (type the required address in the top right box and click 'go'). Dunno if that will overcome that issue you have though (but it would stop work being able to tell you were on SS, as all they will see is Anonymizer :) - which I guess in itself looks a bit sus. ! - but anyway ....

15. MichaelWhyte

Carl,

I thought that sounded too good to be true. I typed it in, and what do ya know, Surf Control pops up and says that its a banned URL... :(

Cheers,
    Michael.

16. TryHard

Ah yes - I guess we were getting away with that 5 or 6 years ago - the administrators are probably all a little bit more attuned to any tricks now :(

17. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

I'm know you're far from stupid :)
    Thanks for the feedback- I see what you mean about the fees section and I agree. Will get my super duper web builder onto it right away :)