Name change anyone ?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Jay Ajinkya, 15th Dec, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jay Ajinkya

Jay Ajinkya Active Member

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is right place to post this question.

My wife plans to change her last name to mine. What effect does this have on her / our bank accounts and investements ?

Do we contact our banks / investment fund managers and let them know of the name change? What sort of documents will be reqd as proof.

Anything else that one must keep in mind while changing names ?

Regards,

Jay

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Jay,

Using a marriage certificate is best. You can get it from the NSW Registar of Birth, Death and Marriages in the city. Make a few photocopies and get a Justice of the Peace to certify the copies. Then send the copies to the relevant companies you need to change her name with.

Also her passport, if you do it within 12 months of being married you don't have to pay for another passport. If you do it after a year, you have to pay for another passport :(

Cheers,

Dan

3. Jay Ajinkya

Jay Ajinkya Active Member

Thanks Dan.

but should have mentioned, that we got married overseas, so we have an overseas marriage certificate. We plan to have her name changed on her passport & medicare, first and then tackle the banks and our investments.

do our local institutions accept overseas marriage certificates ?

4. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Jay,

I'd also do driving license straight after doing passport and medicare card.
    It shouldn't be an issue once you have the new passport and drivers license.

Apart from banks, you've got phone company, gas, etc, all your friendly billers whose mail never gets lost in the mail...:)

Cheers,

Dan