Join our investing community

Navra Aus Retail - Performance

Discussion in 'Managed Funds & Index Funds' started by Alwayslooking, 18th Dec, 2007.

1. Alwayslooking

Alwayslooking Well-Known Member

Hi All
    I am new to this and am in the process of jumping into NAVRA fund.

On Navra's website it states that income generated is 15.5% over the last 3 years. However, I have read some posts here where perhaps it is more like Navra is making 10%+ pa.

I am a little confused is 15.5% pa after fees etc.

If it were closer to 10% pa I don't think it would be worth bothering as Margin Loan is 9.5%.

I am probably missing something, can someone please clarify this for me.

Cheers, AL

2. ffc1883_1996

ffc1883_1996 Active Member

Given the fund's rather large cash holding, I was wondering if the performance may actually improve in a higher interest-rate environment.

Just a thought.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

People refer to 10% just as a conservative figure based on Steve Navra's comments about his expected minimum in most markets. In reality the return AFTER fees (but before tax) has been much higher - but we've also had strongly rising markets the past few years.

Looking at http://www.navrainvest.com.au/index.asp?content=distribution - you'll see past distributed income each year since inception being 10.58%, 16.17%, 17.24%, and 18.53% ... which is where they get the 15.5% average from.

4. Simon Hampel

Are you referring to the higher returns on the cash component from higher interest rates on their cash account ?

I would think the performance boost from that would be negligible overall ... 1% increase in interest rate only leads to somewhat less than 1% overall performance boost based on the cash holding ... for a fund aiming for 10%+ returns, that's nothing to get too excited about ... although I guess every little bit helps.

5. Alwayslooking

Hi Sim
    thanks for reply.

I thought due to Navra's strategy of trading performance of the fund is not dependent on a rising market? Is this correct.

Cheers, AL

6. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

7. redrover

redrover Well-Known Member

"Outperform the market" can be a bit irrelevant especially in a down trending market, when NI loses less than the Index so yes it does outperform with less on the downside but it does not then produce much income in that phase. I dont know that it has ever outperformed the market on a yearly basis since inception!!

8. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

I also don't think we've had a bad enough year to truly test Navra's performance.

9. Simon Hampel

It has redrover - almost every year since inception ... I'd have to check which years and by how much, but it has regularly outperformed the index - not by much, but it is still outperformance.

10. redrover

redrover Well-Known Member

I thought last year NI did about 20% whereas the market did in excess of 23%?? Year 1 at just over 9% did not outperform the Index!

11. JIT

JIT Well-Known Member

Minus fees, could you have done better with an index fund?

12. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

Most likely an index fund would of done better overall but Navra has a higher cash flow than an index fund, important if you need to show that to a lender and/or cover negative cashflow.

13. Simon Hampel

This is a good point actually - one that I hadn't really been taking into account. Lenders do like to see cashflow when it comes to assessing servicability (you'll need a couple of years of distribution statements to show history), whereas equity is of no interest to them at all.

Naturally the downside is the tax-ineffectiveness of said income ... but it all depends on your strategy, situation and goals.

14. tailcat

tailcat Well-Known Member

Westpac only need to see it on your previous tax-statement. However, I do not know what formula they use when calculating serviceability.

Tailcat

15. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

...??
    Assuming the index is the ASX200
    In 03/04 it UNDERperformed by 5.1%
    In 04/05 it OUTperformed by 1.4%
    in 05/06 it OUTperformed by .7%
    in 06/07 it UNDERperformed by 2.9%

Therefore its BEST year of underperformance is worse than the combined total overperformance.
    (That is going from the first year the fund actually turned a profit, otherwise it's like saying my dead dog outperformed the index because he didnt lose any money).
    After fees & tax the picture would be a bit nastier again, and if we were talking the ALL ORDS index it is a whole lot nastier!
    I am not saying Navra does not have a very valid use, it certainly does, but it definitely isnt a fair comparison between Navra and an index fund - they are 2 different animals for 2 different purposes, but it is still incorrect to say it outperforms the index. it loses less money in the down times because it holds cash, but that is more than lost in the up markets.
    If you are comparing to an index fund, I think the only valid comparison is "what would a dollar invested X years ago be worth today".
    If you bring in the other reasons for Navra (serviceability, cashflow, etc), it isnt a valid comparison.

16. Insight

Insight Brisbane Buyers Agent

If you actually understand a little bit about AIM trading and the whole seeking alpha issue then to think you can get regular outperformance from a single mechanical system applied over one market, well good luck to you sir.

As Cooprano's mentioned a valid comparison might be to compare to an Index fund, that's a dollars in pockets comparison as compared to worrying about what the ASX200 does, which you aren't really as you don't get divs from that measure.

I would love the idea that as a fund manager I can swim in the ASX200 accumulation pool and track myself against the ASX200 (- divs), which gives me a 3-4% headwind to push my fees up, to not outperform on this criteria would be more of a challenge.

17. Alwayslooking

Thanks everyone for great feedback.

I have decided in the new year to invest in Navra starting with around $50K LOC/$50 ML ($100K). I plan to capitalise the LOC and ML.

I would use the income to service negative shortfall or non-tax deductible debt and depending on performance would pay out the interest on the ML only.

Cheers, AL

18. JIT

JIT Well-Known Member

Oh boy, a newbie 100% leveraging in the current higher interest rate environment and capitalising interest, into an income fund that regularly underperforms and charges fees for the privelege, and to service repayments on non-deductible debt...hmmm...:rolleyes: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: 23rd Dec, 2007
  19. JustB

JustB Well-Known Member

Hi AL,

You mentioned in your original post that you are quite new to all this. You now state you are planning to enter Navra, 100% leveraged, not re-invest the distributed income, and capitalise the interest.

Do you fully understand the implications of capitalising interest, LVR's, margin calls etc? Especially when applied to a predominantly income focused fund like Navra, as opposed to a growth focused fund? If not, read the articles on this site, related posts on the forums, and ask questions to clarify anything that isn't clear.

What you are proposing sounds very risky, unless you have a sufficient amount of cash at hand to bail you out if the fund doesn't consistantly deliver your anticipated returns. Have you got a contingency plan in place?

JustB

20. JIT

JIT Well-Known Member