Navra Buying Agents?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by OLI__, 11th Apr, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Jacque,

Unfortunately I got the courtesy call from the REA that I have a good rapport with just the other day to let me know that the property in The Crescent sold to the other couple for $640K. I was willing to go to $645K, but the vendors preferred to persist with the first couple that made an offer. Ah well, I learnt a lot from the experience and it honestly seems that every time I miss out on one, the next one gets even better!

Kay has spotted a couple more that have just come on to the market which might meet our needs. There's one that's a bit out of our price range at the 700's, but it is over 1,000m3 with panoramic ocean views. Its a steal for that price but too much for us right now. The other has duplex development potential so we'll go have a look and see what price they're talking.

We just keep plodding along and am quietly confident that we'll get one when the time is right...

Thanks for the support,
    Michael.

2. Tom&Don

Tom&Don Active Member

1. Pay what they are asking (and maybe a touch more for a bit of incentive?)
    2. Ask for vendor finance for 5 years at a good rate (to you) for 20% of the asking price.

Doesnt hurt. Solves your problem of lack of finance.

3. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Michael,

If you like this place and the numbers work, why aren't you putting in an offer? Okay so you're about 50K short - big deal, draw down some of your MF's. It might seem a lot now, but if you're confident it's a good buy, just do it.

Do you think you'll drive past that property in 20 years and think to you yourself 'Gee, I'm glad I didn't hand over the extra 50K for this 20 years ago' or 'Geez I'm a damn fool for not having paid the extra 50K for this when it was worth 700, now it's worth over 3 mill!'.

Mark

4. MichaelW

Mark,

Good point. Its in the 700's is all I know as its going to auction. To be honest it could go for quite a bit more. Its on our radar though and we'll probably go along to the auction to see if we can get it for close to the 700 mark.

We're pre-approved to $650K, and as you say, we could easily pull some out of our MF to pick it up. Its a great block with some great views.

Kay just spotted it yesterday so we haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.

Cheers,
    Michael.

5. Mark Laszczuk

Good luck either way Michael.

Mark

6. MichaelW

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the support...

7. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Hi Michael

Quarter acre with panoramic ocean views would probably be near $700K in Bundaberg, let alone on Sydney's Northern Beaches ! Hope the figures at auction go well and you get it for a steal ... :) I'd forego the returns on some of the managed funds to be able to sit on the likely growth in something that cool ;-)

Its not one of the baiting "bidding from..." ads is it ? ... it sounds super cheap - you can't get anything decent with water views on that amount of land in Brisbane in that price range.

Best of luck
    Carl

8. MichaelW

Carl,

The house is a dump so its pretty much land value only. Its also a really steep site so you can't develop the full 1000m3+. So, there are some reasons its priced where it is. But its still pretty awesome. The views are that good that my wife said last night "if we get it, you know I'll want to live there!".

Ah well, I'll make it an IP for a few years to start with anyway until we get in better financial shape. :D

Cheers,
    Michael.

9. TryHard

Hah ! Good luck mate. That is EXACTLY what Mary said when we bought the last IP 18 months ago and the slab was poured on it for the PPOR only 2 days ago... The level of activity is in direct proportion to the recession of my hairline. ;-)

10. Mark Laszczuk

...which is in direct proportion to the volume of nagging, yes?

Mark

11. TryHard

How DARE you say that about my delightful soul partner !!

(this post only in case she ever logs onto the forum)

PS. yes.

;-)

12. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

I bought IP using Roger's service and I will use his service again the next time.
    PS: I wonder how somebody is able to recognize truly independent agent from just another agent. :confused:
    Any "tips" ? ;)
    :cool:

13. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

Very simple.

Did you pay a fee to the buyers' agent for locating and negotiating the lowest price possible for the property? If not - they are not independent buyers' agents.

Did they check all properties that were listed with other real estate agents that fit your requirments or did they restrict the search to specific developments that pay them for selling their property? If not - they are not independent buyers' agents.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: 8th May, 2006
  14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I would actually ask this question a little differently...

"Was the only remuneration paid to the buyers agent your fee, or did they receive a commission from the sale of the property ... if they recieved a commission (even if you paid them a fee as well!!), then they are not (fully) independent.

Paying a fee to them AND having them take a commission is kind of the worst of both worlds !!

15. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

Good Point Sim.