Join our investing community

Navra Cash Holdings

Discussion in 'Managed Funds & Index Funds' started by MrDarcy, 27th Sep, 2005.

1. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Well-Known Member

About a month ago I heard Navra funds were about 30% in cash due rising market. Since then, the market has been sort of exploding some more so I expect that cash holding is higher now. Any ideas ?

I like the thought of a higher cash holding, less exposed to market corrections :rolleyes:

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

It's not about less exposure to market corrections - it's about more buying opportunities when the market does correct !

3. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Well-Known Member

Ditto :p

10 character padding goes here

4. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Hmmm........I would have thought it was a bit of both....

:)

5. Gameboy

Gameboy Member

Pretty sure I read in one of the commentary reports that the fund was at 30% cash months ago and obviously the market has run quite a distance since then.

There might be a 30% cash cap in a bullmarket. This makes sense imo otherwise you are basically prejudging where the bull run might end and not only run the real risk of underperforming due to a large cash holding, but also missing a large part of the uptrend.

6. Simon Hampel

You are right Alan - I was being a bit facetious :D

7. Simon Hampel

I don't know how NavraInvest managed their cash levels - part of the "secret formula" I'd suggest. However, you are correct in that high levels of cash to work against the fund in a strongly rising market - the same way that they benefit the fund in a strongly falling market. It's both a risk management tool, and an opportunity tool.

I remember when I was in the Navra offices a month or so back and Steve showed me a spreadsheet with the to-date performance figures ... on the sheet they identified how much cash was currently being held, and even how much that cash holding helped/hindered the fund (they did this for all the shares being held too). At the time, with the market going so well, the cash was actually seen as a hinderence - it had a (slight) negative overall impact on the performance of the fund.

They seem to have the forumla about right though - the market has basically gone straight up since then, and the NavraInvest funds are still outperforming the ASX200 ... so it doesn't seem to be that big a deal. The really big benefits come with the inevitable corrections - high cash holdings mean many more buying opportunities, which amplify future profit potentials.