Join our investing community

Navra Course - TAX MINIMISATION

Discussion in 'Networking & Meetups' started by Steve Navra, 22nd Feb, 2006.

1. Steve Navra

Steve Navra Well-Known Member

As mentioned earlier . . .

I will be running courses on the most effective tax minimisation structure I have yet come accross!!

At this point in time the pilot course (completed) and the next (few) courses on this topic will be for existing clients only.

Thereafter I will run open courses for these interested.

I am starting a 'WAITING LIST' for the first of these open courses . . . if interested, please contact Michelle 0n 02 9087 1806 and put your name down. (First in basis)

Please refer to my post on:
    Optimising Tax Structure - and creating a positive cahflow vehicle. !!! (Will appear on the forum later today)

The response to this has been overwhelming :cool:

Regards,

Steve

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Wow - sounds interesting Steve. Looking forward to the post :D

3. MichaelWhyte

MichaelWhyte Well-Known Member

Steve,

Yep, sounds great! I've already sent Nick Moustacis a PM to tee up a time to go and get my HDT/UT established with him. I don't have to wait until after this course to do that do I?

Seems every time I get the ideal tax-effective structure square in my head something else comes along to slow me down a bit.

Think I'll still go see Nick as I think he's on the money.

Cheers,
    Michael.

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

I gave Karen at Strategic Wealth a phone call, and she emailed the forms out. Might be a bit quicker.

Glebe.

5. Here_To_Learn

Here_To_Learn Well-Known Member

Steve, have you posted the structure you mention above or am I blind ? :confused:

Thanks !

6. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

H_T_L,

No not yet. But don't worry, it's very exciting, so keep a look out for it.

Mark

7. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

My eyes are getting tired now, Mark :D
    Can I take a break from looking?!!! :p

8. MichaelWhyte

Jacque,

I too am very excited about the potential of this structure, but it seems that for some very good reasons we might have to be a little bit patient. See the post below from Steve on this...

http://www.invested.com.au/forums/showpost.php?p=4620&postcount=4

Cheers,
    Michael.

9. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Am aware of this post thanks Michael.
    I was just having a dig at Mark, is all..... :D

10. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Why would you want to minimise your tax Steve?

I'm not with KP on this one, I reckon the Government spends our money sooo well we should be giving them bucket loads more of the stuff. :eek: :eek:

* Hmmm.......now what else was I meant to do this morning? Oh yes.......I forgot to take my medication!! :rolleyes:

Look forward to hearing the details Steve.

;)

11. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Jacque,

No you can't. You must keep looking until I say stop! Hhahaha

Mark

12. MichaelWhyte

OK,

Just put my name on the waiting list with Michelle... Unlike Alan, I would like to minimise my current tax bill. I think I pay about $50K in tax a year at the moment and this is only getting bigger now with my managed fund distributions being profitable positive cash flow.

An extra $50K a year in my pocket would be very nice indeed, but methinks it will require some clever asset mix structuring and a bit of LOE magic. Time will tell.

Cheers,
    Michael.

13. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

It's ok Michael......I've had my medication now and Tax Minimisation now sounds good. :D

I've put my name down for further Course Information too......

:)

14. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Maybe afforestation????

Bob

15. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Pine plantations? I've read a bit about Wilmont Forests, but I don't really understand how they work... seems a little dodgy somehow... anyone with any experience?

16. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

tax minimisation

I was only speculating on the tax minimisation that Steve is referring to as afforestation..anyway in the 90's thousands of "investors" participated in a number of afforestation schemes typically purchasing a number of trees, albeit macadamia nuts, aloe vera etc. etc. There was also ostrich farms, emu farms, crayfish farms, film ventures: the list goes on.
    Most of the schemes were structured in a way that you borrowed the money upfront prior to 30 June and got your tax deduction of 100percent sometime in July. Some of the earlier films had deductions of 150percent, this was pre-Crocodile Dundee and the Government at that time was encouraging the film industry. There was on going maintenance on the farms each year (tax deductible) and of course the interest on the borrowings had to be paid back (tax deductible). The promoter of the afforestation scheme secured an area of land for the period necessary for the trees to grow to maturity, and
    distributed the proceeds from the scheme as the trees were thinned, until the land was cleared. This was all good, there was insurance against bugs that eat trees, and fires that don't like trees. Some of the loans were non recourse and hence if the scheme went belly up the investor did not have to pay the outstanding amount on the loan. From my way of thinking some of these schemes were very speculative. Promoters targetted investors for the tax deductions, if the farms were a viable proposition they would have secured funds from a friendly bank. The ATO was not overly excited about all of this and challenged some of the schemes as being tax avoidance and some investors had to have their tax re-assessed and pay back the refund. It is best to get an individual tax ruling prior to investing on each project and if the loan is non-recourse and has a history of success it might be worth a go. There was a mob called Timbercorp??? that seemed not to bad but I didn't follow them up. For you info the broad tax ruling is TR 2000/8 that outlines that the ATO accepts that there is a business of afforestation, and that business will be carried on by the person (or the investor) where:
    the person has an 'interest' in specific growing trees and a right to harvest and sell the timber from those trees, and
    the person leases land upon which to grow trees, and carries out, or a manager carries out on the person's behalf, afforestation activities on that land i.e., planting, maintaining, and harvesting of trees for the sale of timber, and
    the activities of the person have a significant commercial purpose in view of factors such as their nature, size, scale, repetition and regularity, and the manner in which those activities are conducted.
    Basically, if you put your own funds down as opposed to borrowing the funds you will be locking up your cash for 8-10 years depending on the type of "investment".

Bob

17. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

I know we are speculating here as to what Steve might have in mind but when I hear the term 'tax minimisation' and some sort of agricultural scheme in the same sentence, I am immediately very wary. Certainly the schemes I have looked at including wineries, forests, etc were not good investments without the tax deductions and my view would be if the investments don't stack up before tax deductions, i won't invest regardless of whether they have a product ruling from the ATO or not. I know people who have invested in these schemes and got badly burnt when the ATO disallowed their deductions down the track, in one case there was a product ruling in place however the ATO argued (and won) that the investment didn't follow the guidelines that were laid down.

Gazza

18. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Exactly. On the money

Bob

19. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Somehow I doubt Steve Navra will be rehashing some dubious agri scheme from the 90's on us.

I have no doubt this will be innovative and will surprise us all. I also imagine it will come with a ruling from the ATO guaranteeing the tax effectiveness unlike some people I know who invested in Tea Trees and not only lost money but had their tax deductions overturned.

Looking forward to more info.

Cheers,

20. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

That was not even inferred. There are some viable agricultural schemes that are a sound business enterprise. I was giving a history lesson on some of the tax avoidance/minimisation schemes of the 90's

Bob