Managed Funds Navra fund outperformance of the S&P200??

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by gazza, 17th Nov, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Carl,

Now that made me laugh. Awesome work mate! Steve, run some of these off and have them handy at the event!!

Cheers,
    Michael.

2. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Yes I agree, very good :)

3. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Traders of the Lost Art

Gee guys I would have spent some quality time if I knew I was gonna get accolades :) Sadly I am not the artist in the company ... so it probably doesn't do the intrepid adventurer justice.

4. HHH__

HHH__ Active Member

Hi Steve

The workshop sounds like a great idea. I would also be willing to pay for a recording of the event, even if I were able to attend. This is all very new to me, and to be honest, most of the figures thrown around in this thread are going way over my head. The event may be to advanced for myself and I can imagine wanting to watch it over a few times so I can grasp all the concepts.

5. Ol School Skata

Ol School Skata Well-Known Member

Am i missing something here

If I invested in the Navra funds, I could not stand to watch the unit prices move by 1c or 2c each day. Surely there are better things to do with your time than watch the movement of a managed fund. :p

Yes the fund has underperformed the ASX200 so far. But just hang on a second - doesn't the PDS state a minimum 5 year period for investment...if this is the case why check it every day?

If you want to check the prices of something each day - buy derivatives - that is a lot more exciting and heartbreaking. :eek:

Give the fund time to work - understand what kind of markets it performs best. Basically if the ASX200 goes up in a line, it will be hard for this fund to beat the market based on its trading methodology.

I myself am not fussed on the fact the performance fees are calculated daily and deducted annually. I would prefer it if they were calculated based on monthly or quarterly periods...but that is just me

OSS

6. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

I have to agree with OSS here. Although I can understand people wanting to get into the guts of things, I'll just sit back and watch the big picture stuff.

Don't give too much away Steve!

That's why I'd rather Steve give us some more info on the recent share offer and how it has or has not affected future plans for the company :p

Rick

7. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Rick

I have asked that question in another thread called 'update on Navrainvest activities' but as yet have not had a response.

Gazza

8. Steve Navra

Steve Navra Well-Known Member

Hi Gazza,

Patience!!!

AGM is on Tuesday 29th and I will provide ALL these answers to the shareholders FIRST. (Courtesy)

I will immediately thereafter post an extensive reply:

· the rapid growth in FUM

· Fund performance – past & future

· Performance fee

· Likelihood of profitability by 30 June 06

· American Fund

I will talk about the strategy from now including:

· Marketing strategy focusing on NFS & how we will apply the recent capital raising

· Cost recovery

· Quarterly fees for all Funds.

· Timetable for the American Fund

Regards,
    Steve

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

umm AGM ? Were we notified about this ?

10. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Yeah I got notification. Can't remember if it was an email from Registries Ltd or a letter...

11. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Steve

Patience? Not a word I am familiar with :D

Are you broadcasting your AGM on the internet so us non Sydney shareholders can hear your address? :)

Look forward to your answers.

cheers
    Gazza

12. TryHard

Information

Hi

As a unitholder with an email address listed I got the following email on Fri 4 November from Registries Limited :

---------------------

Dear Shareholder,

Please be advised that NavraInvest Limited AGM will be held on 29 November 2005. The followings are attached for your information:
    - AGM Letter to shareholders
    - Notice of AGM 2005
    - Proxy Form

Our annual financial report 2005 is now available on our website. To get a copy of the report, just click the link below http://www.navrainvest.com.au/pdf/2005yearend.pdf

---------------------

Steve, not being based in Sydney is a bit of a challenge for some of us. Maybe televising the event is a bit overkill, but if the content of the presentation could be posted somewhere here (as I am sure it will be) as soon as possible after the event, we bumpkins will be eternally grateful.

Playing Devil's Advocate, I guess this forum is a double-edged sword for Steve. Lots of firms of NI's size wouldn't participate or provide support for something like InvestEd.

For my part I would love Steve's prompt answers to every niggling question that pops into my mind after a few beers :). But then on the other hand I'd like to think Steve was left enough time to do his job leading a company that I hope is going to play a big part in improving my family's future, and to enjoy some lifestyle so his usual positive energy and efforts remain working for all of us ;-)

I think a worry with these styles of forums is if people start 'badgering' moderators when they don't always get answers they want as quickly as they want. And before anyone blasts me, I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm just suggesting give Steve a bit of credit for everything he IS doing :D

Right, back to stressing about the amount of debt I'm in.

Cheers
    Carl

13. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

Well said Carl

14. Simon Hampel

Ahh of course, silly me - I checked everywhere except my email ! And I had gone to so much trouble to specify to only send me stuff via email too.

Found it - will RSVP immediately.

15. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

You should have asked me Sim'

I would have told you to look in your email pile :D :D :D

16. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Carl.

As a brief aside, I take your point here and it can be a fine line for both Steve and ourselves at times as to what information is requested and delivered. In addition to being a member of the Forum, I'm also a Unitholder and Shareholder so I guess I have a variety of interests here.

Personally I have a huge respect for what Steve has and is achieving, however I'd really question why I'd belong to a Forum such as this if I ever felt I couldn't ask some of the 'hard questions' occasionally too. The strength of a Forum such as this will partly be based on the questions that are asked as well as the answers that are received.

I think I made the comment previously that personally I thought the tone of questions being asked in this instance was really positive. They were questioning, they were constant but I never thought they were rude or unreasonable(my opinion only :) ).

There are a few issues that have been raised here and in other threads about communication, courtesy and everyone(not just Steve) balancing how busy they are........

A number of questions have been asked about the US Fund, Capital Raising etc etc for a number of weeks. Steve has posted a reply to these issues today, however to be honest if the answer was as simple as was posted, I don't know why Steve or other staff, for the benefit of the Forum simply couldn't have responded weeks ago with a simple two-liner........"All fair and reasonable questions. We have an AGM due in 3 weeks where I will firstly provide this information to shareholders and then I'll be happy to update the Forum"? End of story. Again, this isn't a direct criticism of Steve, but rather a suggestion for improved communication all round. Obviously his call, if he's too busy he's too busy but just from the perspective of one Forum Member it would have been good.

Generally speaking, if I have a question that doesn't relate directly to my personal situation, I'll post it as I'd feel others may also have an interest too. Very occasionally I may email/PM Steve out of courtesy requesting information if I thought it was a grey area and may not necessarily be appropriate for public posting.

Again, I think you make a very good point and I would hope that all members do treat other members with respect with their questions, however, at the same time, I hope the occaional 'hard question' isn't always seen as 'badgering' either.

:)

17. Denis__

Denis__ Well-Known Member

Carl,
    Congratulations.This is an excellent post.I think you have a great grasp of some of the issues about the forum at the moment.
    I for one think that Steve has got a difficult balancing act at times.I have expressed this privately to him .
    For obvious reasons,Steve enjoys enormous respect from most of us on the
    forum.I think an acknowledgement with a NO COMMENT or WILL BE ADDRESSED LATER would be suffice ,and if we could not understand why Steve is not willing or able to elaborate ,then it is probably our lack of understanding of the duel roles that he is fulfilling.At the same time he would be extending the courtesy that paid up forum members expect.
    I invested with Steve on the basis that this was going to be a long and profitable journey.I believe we are still on track and will all be rewarded.
    I also appreciate that Warren Buffet and all the other so called gurus are nowhere near as accessible as Steve has been to forum members previously .
    Regards to all
    Denis

18. TryHard

I agree :)

Hi Alan

Good points. I agree allowing hard questions to be asked, and answering them, is one of the special features of "Navra versus the rest" :) I certainly wasn't suggesting the simple act of asking a challenging question is 'badgering' ... and previous comments aside, I am one of the people who has suggested communication from the Navra organisation is not always regular or easy to follow.

Maybe :
    1. all the questions being asked are essential for some people to be comfortable with their investment in the Navra Group, and
    2. the answers should all be immediate, and public knowledge and
    3. InvestEd is the right place to ask them ...

or maybe not ? I guess my point is sometimes we should maybe control our thirst for knowledge and cut the guy some slack ;-) remembering not many Chairpersons of organisations the ilk of NI would even look at forum on their own, let alone participate and provide advice.

I also am both a shareholder and unitholder - in fact a disproportionate amount of my family's net worth in invested in the Navra organisation in one way or another :) Its in my interest people with vastly better grasp of some of the detail than I have, ask the difficult questions so we can all benefit from Steve's answers. Its also (probably more so) in my interest Steve continues to enjoy doing what he does ;-) Not to dismiss the efforts and expertise of the entire Navra team, but I believe the current and future success of NI will be driven by knowledge, leadership, spirit and determination of the bloke in charge.

I'm not so sure being a member of this Forum gives any of us the right to ask any possible question about the NI Fund - maybe some of the answers are best kept confidential or communicated by more 'secure' means. I would think there is lots of detail about NavTrade and the organisation itself that we unitholders and shareholders might not want others to know about, even if its at the expense of us not knowing either ... :)

Cheers
    Carl

PS Thanks Denis - I think you and I think similarly about the journey ahead :) My motivation comes from my wife's constant reminders that you better damn well show appreciation to the people who do good things for you, or certain favours might be withdrawn ;-)

19. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Carl & Denis,

You hit the nail on the head ...
    Santa's patience is very impressing....
    :cool:

20. Simon Hampel

As an aside to the current discussion, I would just like to remind people that NavraInvest Limited has no direct involvement in Investor Education Pty Ltd.

Navra Financial Services has an involvement in Investor Education Pty Ltd.

The only connection is that Steve Navra is involved in all three!

So, while NFS promotes the NI funds to its clients, there is certainly something to answer in relation to how the funds perform, but since NI itself is not a part of InvestEd, this is not necessarily the correct place to ask questions about the running of NavraInvest. I know it's just semantics - and indeed the performance of the funds is inextricably tied to the performance of the company - so to a degree, the whole point is moot.

I just wanted people to understand the relationships.

Summary: Navra Financial Services is not NavraInvest. InvestEd and Navra Financial Services have a direct relationship. InvestEd and NavraInvest do not.

Now if NavraInvest were to provide InvestEd with money in some form, it might be a different matter :D
    (as a NI shareholder I might have something to say about that though :confused: )