Managed Funds Navra Fund Performance - Happy Days

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by MichaelW, 2nd Mar, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Hows it looking now?

Michael,

I'd love to see how NI stacks up against the ASX since the last few days. Could you post your spreadsheet?

MJK :D

2. perky

perky Well-Known Member

That would be interesting.
    I was in the office on Monday - at around 11am the market had dropped 1.7% and Navra was at -.98% - so was outperforming by .7%ish....they had 30% of their money in cash waiting...
    So I would imagine Thursday would have been a good day for the funds as well.

3. Jane M

Jane M Well-Known Member

Navra did not update unit prices yesterday for the day before, as usual in the late afternoon. Perhaps they should not vary their usual routine, particularly in turbulent times?

4. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

I also found it a bit strange that the latest unit prices were dated Wednesday 17th May.
    Today is the 20th.
    Is there a valid reason for this slow update?

Jayar

5. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Prices are always quoted the following day.

Thursday(18th) figures should have been posted on Friday but weren't for some reason.

The figures for Friday 19th wouldn't be posted until next Monday anyway.

I've noticed the odd day not get posted on time previously but they seem pretty random events from memory ie. prices could have gone up or down.

It's not a huge company, perhaps someone was just away sick.......

:)

6. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

MJK,

Happy to, but Alan is correct in that Navra haven't updated their unit prices since Wednesday last week and a lot has happened since then. I've extrapolated the unit price over the last few days as a % change relative the previous unit price based on the % change of the XJO versus its previous close. So you can't take the last three data points for the NavTrade line as actuals, they're estimates only.

History has shown that NavTrade moves less in % terms than does the XJO index, so in reality these three last points are probably over-stated in their extremity. But I can't give you anything better until Navra update their website.

Hope this helps anyway...

Cheers,
    Michael.

Attached Files:

7. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael,

Latest NI unit price as of 19th May is 1.1389.

MJK

8. MichaelW

MJK,

Cool, they've updated the unit prices!

OK, updated graph attached. How's that for a timely response! :D

And the "falls" in NavTrade are much lower than in the index. You can see this also by the direction of the yellow under-performance line. Its heading South sharply which means NavTrade is way out-performing the index during its falls. Nice to know huh! I'm looking forward to the recovery phase too so I can see that line continue south.

I ditched the "extrapolation" for the 22/5 as it distorts the picture somewhat. Navra is beating the index by too much for an equal performance extrapolation to work. So all the attached data are actual results up until Friday close last week.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Attached Files:

9. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

That's interesting Michael.

I would have thought there was next to no chance of seeing an 'outperformance' for this Quarter, but who knows? I might be pleasantly surprised yet. :)

The Oz dollar is coming back down too so hopefully the US Fund can start pointing in a more positive direction soon.....

10. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael.

It would be interesting to know how much of the outpeformance over the last few days can be attributed to the cash holding and how much is due to realised gains from trading...

Cheers
    N.

11. MichaelW

Looks like Navra will be earning some performance fees!

Guys,

Based on performance to date this quarter, it looks like Navra will be earning some performance fees finally!

Check out the attached chart based on the most up to date information on current unit prices relative the ASX200 index. Since the recent correction Navra have been killing the index. In fact, they're almost back to parity performance since I bought in on 14/10/05. Lets just hope they keep outperforming as the index recovers to previous levels, and that they don't lag and return to previous under-performance levels.

My spreadsheet shows that Navra has returned +0.94% for the quarter to date, and the ASX200 has returned -2.67%.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Attached Files:

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Gotta love that volatility !!

13. perky

perky Well-Known Member

I'll say!!
    Looking at the shares in the portfolio, 17 out of 20 had a "green" day. Some were really nice, STO 4.77% and BHP 4%, with BSL, WPL, WBC and MBL above 2% for the day.
    The "reds" were only .3 or .4% down.

Now, lets see a 70 point drop on Monday :eek: :)

14. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

70, only 70 ! I wanna buy more units, how about 700 so we can this "correction" over and done with :p

15. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Great to see. :D

16. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

It's great to see if you're a shareholder. If you're a unitholder, what is great is seeing the funds start in the bottom left hand corner and move to the right in an upwards direction.

17. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Glebe.

Yes......I'm a smallish shareholder too. :)

The other nice thing is to practically see the potential for 'outperformance' starting to appear again.