Managed Funds Navra Fund Performance - updated chart

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by MichaelW, 7th Jun, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

From what I understand of the operation, this is the key to performance of the fund.

2. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

The last quarter of this thread has confused me a bit :confused: (not hard to do).

Pertaining to the quarterly distribution; if one has $100k invested (for round figures), and the distribution is 3%, doesn't that automatically equate to $3,000 or does the unit price (when you bought in) factor in there somewhere?

3. Simon Hampel

Technically, the % distribution is based on the value of the funds (ie the unit price) at the time the distribution is calculated (ie end of quarter).

So if you were to buy $100,000 worth of units on the last day of the quarter, and the distribution was 3%, then you should (in theory) expect approximately $3,000 in distribution.

I say approximately, becuase of things like buy-sell spread, and fees.

4. Smartypants

Thanx Sim.

The above example is applicable if you bought on the last day of the quarter, what about if you bought in earlier in the quarter, say early June. Would there be a big difference?

5. Simon Hampel

The percentage distribution is based on the value of the holding. As the quarter progresses and profits accumulate in the fund, the unit price increases (ignoring any capital growth/loss). So, your $100,000 investment would be worth more than this at the end of the quarter ... but assuming the distribution amount in absolute terms was the same as the previous example, the percentage will actually be lower.

But here's another example working it out the other way (percentage from absolute):

Purchased before end of quarter:

Investment: $100,000
    Unit price: $1.00
    Units purchased: 100,000
    Unit price at end of quarter: $1.03
    Value at end of quarter: $103,000
    Distribution: 3c per unit
    Distribution value: 100,000 * 0.03 = $3,000
    Percentage distribution: 3%

Purchased at end of quarter:

Investment: $100,000
    Unit price: $1.03
    Units purchased: 97,087.38
    Value at end of quarter: $100,000
    Distribution: 3c per unit
    Distribution value: 97087.38 * 0.03 = $2,912.62
    Percentage distribution: 2.91%

At the end of the quarter, the cost of your purchase is higher, so for the same absolute distribution (3c per unit), you get less return, because you weren't able to buy the same number of units for your investment.

6. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Guys,

Here's the chart incorporating today's stellar upswing. If the Navra correlation with the ASX200 holds as previously then the extrapolated Retail Application unit price at close of business today should be around the 1.16 mark!

That means that Navra will have recovered all of their losses through the pull back, and be back where it was pre-correction. The ASX200 is still obviously lagging its previous highs circa 5400. That means that its all upside from here on in if the index keeps tracking back towards its previous highs. Of course, it could turn around at a moment's notice as volatility is the theme for now. But if it does recover to 5400 then Navra should track nicely on beyond its own previous high and give us some nice index out-performance.

The black peak to current trend lines give you an idea of what's happened since 11 May 2006 when Navra Retail's application price was 1.163 and the ASX200 closed at 5364.5.

Cheers,
    Michael.

PS I've modified the format of the graph a bit as it was getting a bit busy with all those dots representing the daily data points.

Attached Files:

7. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike.

8. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Retail exit price fro 30/6/06 (from InvestorServe) is 1.1530. I'm sure the guys at Navra are busy getting my distributions ready so I'll leave them alone, but has anyone heard what the last quarter's return will be ?

9. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

I don't know more than you guys, but I'm thinking it will be north of 3%. Not sure how much though...

Cheers
    N.

10. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Last night I heard it would be more than 10% !!!!!

But then unfortunately I woke up........ :( :eek:

11. Bob__

Bob__ Well-Known Member

Navra distributions

I was speaking to Teresa on Friday and she said the Wholesale fund could be between 3.5 and 4percent........Woooo!!

Bob

You never go broke when you have a bob in the house

12. bens__

bens__ New Member

When do they normally advise the amount of the distributions ?

Cheers,

Ben

13. Nigel Ward

Probably around 10-12 July if history is any guide.

Cheers
    N.

14. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hahhahaha you guys are like kids in a candy store, with the packet of lollies sitting tantalisingly on the counter while mum hands over the money to the shopkeep!

Mark

15. Simon Hampel

One of the most disappointing things I found was that by "gearing up" against the increasing unit price (ie. using the extra equity to borrow more from the margin loan for additional investments), I had already "eaten my cake", and I didn't really get as much benefit from the distribution as someone who hadn't already "spent" my share of the profits made by the fund. :rolleyes:

At least the distributions look good on paper - makes my trust's P&L statement look a lot healthier!

16. Smartypants

What about the US fund?

Anyone have any idea on that one?

Also, whatever the notified distribution is, is that a net figure or is there any type of fees (outperformance fees) to come out of that figure.

17. Nigel Ward

Hi Smarty

Not sure on US fund, but the website performance figures are always net of any performance fee as far as I'm aware.

Cheers
    N.

18. Smartypants

Geez Nige,

you're quicker than lightning. Thanks for that.

19. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

As a very rough rule of thumb, total cash distributions seem to be about 75% of total performance.

Based on that, and with distributions already received, I would think we'd probably see around 3.5% for the Australian and maybe around 1% for the US Fund. We'll know soon enough though.

Keep in mind that the Australian Distribution will be for 3 months while the US Fund will actually be for 4 months since it started at the beginning of March and there was no initial distribution at the end of March.

In the case of the US Fund, for anyone paying interest on loans etc. I don't think they would think around 1% cash distribution for 4 months was particularly flash :rolleyes: , even though there was some index outperformance. Even if the Fund was totally sitting on cash, you would hope you'd be receiving at least that in interest alone.

On the other side of the coin, I don't think the Australian Fund ever did anything spectacular in the first four months either. I guess there is a certain 'settling in' period. A large percentage of new money comes into the Fund and if the market is rising they probably have little initial buying opportunities and relatively large(probably underperforming) cash holdings. The market 'corrects' and begins to create some buying opportunities. A slight recovery begins but the Quarter closes.

It will be very intersting to see how the US Fund performs over the next 6 months or so, as there is certainly an expectation of an outperformance compared to the Australian Fund based on increased volatility.

20. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Alan,

Also keep in mind that US Market is different to OZ Market so any "adjustments" to the system require a bit of time.
    :cool:

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF