Managed Funds Navra fund performance

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by coastal__, 16th Aug, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Rickson, work out the current dollar value of your units at todays price, add on all distributions you're received since purchase, now subtract the original purchase price.

If this number is positive, you've still made money - so don't sweat it too much!! The markets will head upwards again eventually and you'll have both the income and some growth as well.

My units are currently worth about $20K less than I paid for them, but I've received over $100K in income from them in that time ... so I'm still way out in front.

Don't forget that if you buy just before a distribution (or indeed anytime late in the quarter) and take the distribution as cash, you will end up with negative equity in your holdings until the growth catches up. But you haven't lost money - you just converted your capital to income.

2. Jane M

Jane M Well-Known Member

Yes Sim, but I bought just after a distribution and I think 5% down is quite a lot.
    Many trading systems would effect a stop loss before you lost 5%. Even allowing for a distribution.

Also, Sim, your statement that
    "Rickson, work out the current dollar value of your units at todays price, add on all distributions you're received since purchase, now subtract the original purchase price.

If this number is positive, you've still made money - so don't sweat it too much!!" - is not factual.
    We must always remember the time cost of money/capital - and for those of us Living off Equity - this is the crucial equation.

We have to make more than what it costs us - say 7.5% overall.

Sorry (2nd edit because I am thinking about this) - the fundamental nature of equity is that to use it you must borrow against it. So yes sometimes Navra might return 15%+ - but the funds you have utilised are borrowed at say 7.5%.

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Sep, 2006
  3. Simon Hampel

The market has dropped more than 8% from its highs just recently - I don't think 5% down is very much at all in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, but you don't have to make positive gains every day. Surely you don't expect the market to only ever go up ?

4. Simon Hampel

If you are leveraged at 50%, then your costs are only effectively half (only 50% of the money is borrowed) ... so it's not quite that bad.

Eg. if you have $100,000 with $50,000 debt, at 8% interest your costs are $4,000 pa, which means you need to get ($4000/$100000) = 4% total return to cover those costs.

5. Jane M

Jane M Well-Known Member

Yes, but in my case - and I thought in the LOE theory - you take equity from property that has increased in value, borrow it, then margin loan against it, at say 50%.

Therefore the whole of the invested funds are borrowed against property or shares.

6. Simon Hampel

Ahh yes, well that is true.

So are you living on equity Rickson ? May I ask what your asset structure is (in general terms) ? ie. do you hold property and shares/funds ? what % of portfolio is property ? what types of shares/funds do you hold ? Do you have cash reserves ? How much (%) ?

Only if you don't mind answering in a public forum ... would be interested to know how you set it up to deal with short term down periods in the market.

7. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Sim,

The point I was making is a relatively simple one leaving the semantics aside for a second. I'll try and couch the argument using your terms but might get it wrong, but the argument is still true. Lets try:

The fund will pay a distribution made by trading profits. This distribution will reduce the equity in the fund by the size of the distribution. If the unit price of the fund at the beginning of the period is higher than the pre-distribution unit price at the end of the period, then the fund will reduce its equity base as a result of the distribution.

Or, in laymans terms: The trading profits ARE ALREADY REFLECTED in the current unit price (sorry Gazza, I think you got that one wrong in your post). So, if the unit price today is lower than it was at the beginning of the period, then the fund is going backwards. I agree that there will still be a distribution paid based on the trading profits, but this does not change the fact that those trading profits HAVE NOT OFFSET the capital loss for the period on the underlying assets. So, the net impact of growth and trading profits is a negative return for the period. Once those trading profits are distributed the unit price drops further.

My key point, in case its still not clear, is that the unit price has to increase during the period to allow for a distribution to be paid without reducing the residual value of your holdings. As at today this hasn't happened. As at today, the fund is losing money for its investors this quarter. Yes, I'll say that again, its losing money for its investors pure and simple. I'm not even factoring opportunity cost of capital or holding costs. In simple profit terms:

Closing unit price - Opening unit price = profit to investors over the period

That equation above is independent of whether the closing unit price reflects a degree of trading profits or not. In Navra's case this quarter the Closing Unit Price is lower than the Opening Unit Price so in reality, the fund is losing money this period. Sure, they'll pay a dividend, but that doesn't change the fact that the fund is losing money.

Let me illustrate it another way:

I put $1000 in the bank at the beginning of the period. At the end of the period its worth $990. I withdraw $100 and call it a dividend. I'm now left with $890.

This is the equivelant of what Navra will do this period. I think its still clear that to go from $1000 at the beginning of the period to $990 at the end of the period before the distribution is paid is clearly a loss. I called it a "trading loss" which semantically is probably incorrect, but its a loss nonetheless.

Cheers,
    Michael.

8. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Gazza,

This is where I think you need to be careful. In your example you suggest that if you start the period at $1 and close the period at $1 then it is still possible to get an income distribution and somehow hang onto that $1 closing price. That can't happen. In fact, all the "trading profits" are reflected in the current unit price. So for Navra to be negative this quarter means their trading profits are LESS than the CAPITAL LOSS during the period.

In your example your $1 closing price might become $0.95 after a 5c distribution is paid representing the trading profits during the period.

Cheers,
    Michael.

9. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

This is what I was trying to get at.

Most here seem to use unit price as an indicator. I tend to look at capital invested or "holdings" instead of unit price, as the unit price constantly changes. It makes it easier for me anyway.

E.g. If I invested $100K into the fund, I'm interested in seeing my holdings stay at or above that initial investment irrespective of distributions.

Obviously after a distribution, my "holdings" will decrease. My concern is that, lets say due to market conditions my $100K has decreased in value to $95K then I get a distribution of $2K. My holdings are now $93K and it is going to take some good capital growth to get my holdings back to its initial $100K.

It's been a long day and I think I'm getting lost in my ramblings here, but I hope I'm making some sort of sense. :confused:

10. Simon Hampel

Michael ... sorry, but I still actually don't get your point in relation to the original discussion.

Everything you posted in this reply I agree with - it is all technically correct - we are on the same page as to what will happen with the fund this quarter.

... but what was your point again ?

Actually - let me take a guess.

I said "your holdings won't go backwards without capital growth". I think this is what you took issue with. I stand by what I said - but I think some may have misinterpreted ... maybe I should have been more explicit here.

I did NOT say "your holdings won't go backwards with negative capital growth". I went on to provide an example of zero capital growth (not negative growth).

I agree with your analysis in regards to negative growth ... I just wanted to make sure people understood that distributions don't lead to a falling unit price - unit price goes up with trading profits and other income, and then falls again when distributions occur, but not less than it has already gone up by. Any fall in the unit price subsequent to that is a result of market fluctuations, NOT as a result of the distributions.

11. Simon Hampel

I think Gazza wasn't implying quite that the UNIT price would still be $1 at the end of the quarter ... just that the capital base would still be $1. The unit price would have risen during the quarter as a result of the trading profit and then fall back to $1 again at the end of the quarter after the income is distributed.

12. Simon Hampel

Yes, you are completely correct ... this can indeed happen.

But you shouldn't sell yourself (or your investment) quite so short. You really do need to take into account your total returns (growth + income) to accurately show how much you've made ... because even ignoring growth - you'll have the value of your holdings drop below your purchase price if you buy in on any day after the 1st of the quarter !! That's how unit trusts work ... and it's important to understand this characteristic to ensure you don't get upset by the value of your holdings falling below what you paid for them.

If you invest $100K on the last day of the quarter, and get a 5% distribution, you'll end up with $95K value of your holdings. By your argument this is a bad thing ... but my argument is that this is just the way it (and all such funds) work. Don't be "concerned" by it!

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that this month we have had (so far) negative growth ... the value of the shares have fallen - and this is not a good thing (although does provide buying opportunities for futher investments ... see there's a good side to it too !!)

13. Simon Hampel

Further to this whole discussion ... from the NavraInvest FAQ:

14. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

15. Smartypants

I only bought in to the fund this year (May), so to date have obviously only received one distribution.

So........my holdings are down to the tune of what my distribution was (give or take), which sounds ok, but................I've had to foot interest payments along the way.

16. Smartypants

Accepted, but I take the distribution in cash which goes to paying the interest on Monies invested (into NI) & paying the shortfall into neg. geared I/P's which was one of the reasons being touted to get into the fund.

17. Simon Hampel

And is it achieving this goal ?

I do exactly the same as you described ... and the fund works very well for me that way.

18. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

Smartypants,

Did the distribution cover your interest costs for that quarter?

19. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

I have made two seperate purchases into the fund. Both were approx 12 months ago. One pre distribution, one post distribution. All the money is borrowed.

Dividend percentages have been 15.6% and 14.3% so both have well and truly covered my interest costs of about 7.5% and returned me some good cash after tax.
    The pre-distribution investment is still down over 9% on yesterdays unit price but I have still locked in those distributions so to me all is good. :D

I wouldn't be game to try this with direct shares as you would have to rely on growth for that sort of return.
    This is all about income though. :)

20. Smartypants

Sim & Rick.

Yes, the June distribution more than covered my quarter interest payment, but I believe that the June distribution was a significantly higher one than in the past (I could be wrong on that point).

After re-reading my last two posts, it may have appeared I am being negative or looking for an arguement so to speak. That is not my intention.

Guess I'm just trying to say that I want capital growth (doesn't have to be much) and distributions :D. Who doesn't.

As pointed out, I am only new to this fund (any fund actually), and although I have done the seminar and read the PDS, it is a little different when you actually put a fair bit of built up equity into play.

Still getting my head around a few of the finer points, and yes, I bought in to the fund with a long term outlook, so hopefully, in 5 or so years from now, my initial investment will have increased and I would have received many great distributions ( gotta think positive eh)

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia