Managed Funds Navra NO LONGER an Income Fund ?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by seaview, 5th Mar, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Yes GSJ, to be fair I think you did flag the credit risk issue. I guess the diversification i.e. spread across approx 20 stocks is a difference with NI.

I suppose you could obtain the same by investing in a fixed income managed fund, but then there's no way you'd get anything approaching 10% after fees.

NFS has nothing whatsoever to do with NavraInvest except a common chairman.

2. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

I assume NFS going belly up would give Steve more time to spend on NI ?

PS Oops Nigel beat me to it :)

PPS is that a bit impolite calling Steve "common" Nigel ;-)

3. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

just to be faceious, that is only $2,800 after tax.
    I understand what you are saying, but in reality it is not a fair discussion - how long would it take the average person earning $50k a year to save $40k?
    Lets be kind and say 6 years (chances are more like 10 if at all).
    That means over this persons working life, they end up with $26k a year. You argue it is insane to borrow $400k to make $4,000 a year. I argue it is more insane to work 40 years of your life and have $26k a year to show for it.
    The only valid point to make out of this whole discussion is that leverage is a tool. I would go so far as to say that the only ways for the average person to really succeed financially are: business (including sales), leverage, lotto. Ignore lotto for obvious reasons.
    Most businesses fail, or fail to produce the kind of income necessary to acquire enough assets. That leaves leverage. The smart use of leverage can turn the average joe into a multimillionaire within 10 years, without excessive risk. I know of nothing else that can do this consistently.
    Using leverage, you arent just borrowing money, you are buying time. You cant just say "it is stupid to only get 1% net return on borrowed money". You get 1% plus the amount of time it would have taken you to otherwise generate that passive income (and growth if applicable). Perhaps there are ways you can generate more than 1% on your borrowed funds, and if that is the argument, no worries; but if the bank would let me borrow $5M tomorrow and I could make 1% off it, I would do it in a second. Sure if you had $500k invested @ 10%, you will make the same as me, but I am more than happy to let you work the 60 or so years it will take to save your $500k.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Managed funds in Australia have strict controls in place and there are certain guarantees in place to protect investors ... even if the fund manager went under, you aren't likely to lose your money.

This is the same for pretty much any managed fund.

The only way you can effectively lose all your money in NavraInvest is if all 20+ of Australia's top companies that the fund invests in, went bankrupt at the same time.

The risk is not zero - but it's extremely low.

Note that I am referring to "losing ALL of your capital", as opposed to just "making a capital loss".

5. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Coops is absolutely right. The only things I'd add are:

1) you can't save your way to wealth - who wants to just crack the millionaire when they're too old to enjoy it?! :confused:
    2) apart from business, leveraging growth investments and lotto perhaps you could add "marrying well" :D or perhaps that should be "divorcing well" :eek:
    3) As I said earlier. All investment involves risk, but generally the risk of making some growth investment is, IMHO, vastly outweighed by the certain cost of doing nothing.

Cheers
    N.

6. TPI

TPI Well-Known Member

I am all for leveraging - I'm geared to the hilt - I think people are missing the point of what I was trying to make in all this; I am just saying that leveraging is best done into an investment that, yes, generates income, but also at least moderate capital growth. Ie. high income, minimal capital growth is not good of you are leveraging. From the discussions in this thread, this NI income fund seems to be all about high income, with little focus on capital growth - even though it may be providing some capital growth at present - it is not really a significant part of the funds strategy.

And as I said before,

Sure if the income is very high, then everything above loan cost, can be re-invested, but if the capital base erodes, then the % incomes required to make this a justifiable investment in the long-term can easily become unsustainable.

GSJ

7. TPI

TPI Well-Known Member

No, I am not saying this at all, you and a few here are really not quite following this - I would do this myself, but only if there was at least moderate prospects for capital growth - which don't seem likely in a "high income fund", or as I said, may be happening - but is not the main objective of the fund.

GSJ

8. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

That is the best way I have ever heard it described Nigel - I had been searching for those words for a couple of years now !

9. Simon Hampel

"Growth" funds can also see the capital base eroded too - sometimes more quickly than a conservative fund like NavraInvest.

I'm not saying income funds are better than growth funds - indeed, I'm all for as much growth as I can get ... I just see a valid reason to hold income generating funds as well - all part of my structured portfolio.

I'm not looking for my income fund to produce capital growth - that's what I have growth funds for, so I use any surplus income from the income fund (after paying holding costs) to help secure my position and give me more capacity to gear into growth.

10. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

iiinvestor, you wrote...

But in the post you referred to, I had already stated:

I don't know how you see that you are saying anything vastly different??:confused:

We all believe we are doing that.;)

Cheers,

Steve P

11. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

This is all good stuff.

I see where GSJ is coming from; I think he's saying that an income only fund may be great at year 0, but as soon as inflation hits, your capital, and hence income, is eroded in relative terms. Then someone (I think Sim) said they didn't care because the loans they are servicing with the income aren't indexed to inflation and their growth investments make up for it anyway. Isn't this nice; different views with detailed explanations. ;)

But how about this coincidence... a huge spread in this month's Smart Investor on high yielding investments. They go through stocks, LPTs, Bonds, Hybrids, funds, etc. It's a perfect complement to this and other threads. I read it on the way back to Syd tonight and it's a really good intro. So check it out if you get the chance.

12. Takestock

GSJ, did you ever attend one of Steve Navra's seminars? This fund is designed as part of an overall investment strategy that includes holding property to provide the capital gains that you speak of. At no stage that I can remember did he suggest that one should basically throw all their money into this fund and leave it at that. In fact, I clearly recall him stating that this (or any other income fund) was ideally to be used to provide the cashflow to assist holding growth assets (property).

As Nigel stated in his normal clear fashion,

So...what I am saying is that you should NOT treat any one particular fund as an "investment strategy", but rather, as part of your overall investment strategy. I think this is what Handyandy described quite well.

I am not stating that you should not give due diligence to every investment decision you make, however, it should be made in the light of your overall plan.

Cheers,

Steve (I'm going to omit the P now that Steve N is no longer here)

Last edited by a moderator: 23rd Mar, 2007
  13. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

Steve:

In retropect, I think that was all a big mix-up; due more to symantics than anything else. When coop explained what he meant, I realised what was going on.

14. TPI

TPI Well-Known Member

Nope, and no intention of attending any future ones, especially after the recent de-thread.

GSJ

15. Takestock

Aaaahhh...Well then, that may explain why you are so infatuated with the capital gains of the fund. Do you understand what I said in the last post? That might help clear this up for you. ;)

Cheers,

Steve

16. Simon Hampel

Whatever you may think about recent events, I would still encourage you to consider going to one of Steve's one or two day seminars ... they are really quite interesting, and you'd get to ask lots of difficult questions.

I think it's worth going with an open mind to explore some ideas about investing that other people have.

... but it's just a suggestion - and there's no problem if you choose not to !

17. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

As far as I am concerned the NI fund will always need to return a minimum of 5% above my interest costs PERIOD and mantain my initial investment capital.

If any fund gave you income but was eroding your capital then it would simply be turning capital into income, which I agree would be ludicrous.

[Unfortunately I am currently in the MAQ Newton fund which seems to be doing exactly this. A dollar in gave a distribution of 7 cents, end value was something like 94 cents, not an ideal situation. To add insult to injury they then kept a portion of the distribution a a reinvestment. After a year and a half its up to $1.02:(]

Why?????

You make a statement but do not support it.

Cheers

18. Andrew G

Andrew G Well-Known Member

Yes, I too am seeing this. It is good to see people expressing differing opinions, but keeping the comments above board also.

What a classic set of comments!!! Well, who has the last laugh now, eh TryHard!? Well done!

Andrew.

19. Takestock

Yep...I agree ;)

Steve

20. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

In line with Tryhard's comment re the 20% return and Nigel's

Originally Posted by Nigel Ward [​IMG]
    ... All investment involves risk, but generally the risk of making some growth investment is, IMHO, vastly outweighed by the certain cost of doing nothing.

I have a friend who has 8 townhouses purchased for $800k (pre boom) loan of $600k current value $2.8 mil. For about 2 years now I have been try to encourage him to do something with all that equity.

Taking his LVR up to 80% would give him $1.64 mil investing this and getting a net return of just 7% would have given him an additional income of $114k. Even at a net return of 5% ( my expected rate) is still $82k. What did he get ZERO , nothing, zilch, nadah - how else can I say it:(. This is a guy who earns $40k working in the public service and hates his job. The numbers are just to big.

The problem now is that I can no longer keep encouraging him as the market risks are increasing with the market volatility on the increase.

He has not only missed out on the income but also failed to build a buffer that would allow him to remain in this sort of investment longer.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.