Managed Funds Navra performance on recent market drop

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by perky, 28th Feb, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

Don't forget what tax you will be paying on that profit, it could cut your return back to 15%.

2. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

What is the most recent unit price for the wholesale fund?

etrade has
    2 March 2007 1.1478 1.1444

is it still heading down, flat, or heading back up again?

3. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

4. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Well done Michael. Can I ask how you timed the exit so exact ? My understanding is that it takes sometimes up to 2 weeks to actually withdraw the funds after you submit the form. With the market the way it is this means you could lose $$$'s either way.

My wife and decide to take a long term view on the funds we invest in Navra and hence we choose not to actively monitor the unit price daily and 'day trade' if I can call it this. But with your data above the temptation is there to try something different.

I am hoping that the fall in the market has presented some good buying oppurtunities ??? Not sure how one could know this without ringing Steve or someone in his trading team ...

5. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Yes. It's a very blunt instrument for timing as I found out when I withdrew my funds some time ago. 3 days difference doesn't mean that much till you experience volatility like we have had the last 3 days!

It would be a much better method to hedge your profits with options or futures if you were worried about a correction. If you are actually expecting to profit from timing then there are better ways to go about it.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Depends on the fund manager - but generally the sale is actually processed within 2-3 days (sometimes sooner I've found). It takes longer to get the cash - but the calculation is done as soon as they get the paperwork and process it.

If I fax LevEq first thing in the morning with an instruction to transact on one of my CFS funds, I generally find that the transaction takes place the next day, or at worse the day after ... which is nice. Not all fund managers are that prompt though.

7. Andrew G

Andrew G Well-Known Member

Michael,
    I for one would like to hear of any success you have, along with any failure you're prepared to talk about - it all assists us newbies with additional information with which we can use to choose funds and work our strategies.

Well done with your strategy, it appears you have made more than the "regular" guy with this particular trade.

Andrew.

8. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

I wish you well Michael but I'm wondering if you had better get back in quick. Its always great discussing these things with you! Keep it up and good luck.

MJK:D

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

MJK,

Right now market may be in the so called "bull trap" phase.
    I would go back if XJO had closed above 5895.
    :cool:

10. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Tropo,

You're more of a tech trader than I am, can you please explain what a bull trap is? I presume its similar to a dead cat bounce?...

I agree that two good days of trading do not herald a strong recovery yet. In fact it still hasn't recovered the 2.3% drop of Monday yet. I reckon it will close higher today and may even trend up again tomorrow, but there's another pull-back left in this recovery yet IMHO.

But if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I haven't got my margin loan finalised yet so can't buy back in right now anyway. Remember that I'm saving interest over this period, so even if I buy back in at the level I exited at I'm still ahead. But I reckon it looks like I'll still be back in at a discount.

Cheers,
    Michael

11. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

And you'll also have sucessfully moved your holdings into your new trust without any loss which is also a good thing.

MJK:D

12. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Michael,

Yes....you can call it a dead cat bounce...
    Nobody knows what will happen and we may get even few pull backs in the future.
    I am not even suggesting that you should buy back now or in the future....
    All I said was that I could buy back if my number is hit (what is good for me not necessarily may be good for you and vice versa).
    Right now do not even contemplate if you are right or wrong....Just stick to your plan/system.
    Only YOU can decide what is right for you.
    So....stay :cool: and keep $ :) ....

13. TPI

TPI Well-Known Member

Apologies, a quick note, the 'fixed interest fund' I had in mind earlier was an income fund with 'targeted' income of 9% pa, but not guaranteed.

GSJ

14. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

Thank's for getting back to us about it.

Damn, I was actually hoping there was a fund that would guarantee 10%. I would have borrowed as much as I could at a lower rate and placed it all in it.;)

Is anyone aware of any funds that actually guarantee a specific return above that obtainable from bank rates (above 10% would be good)? I don't mean those that guarantee return of capital at some future time.

Cheers,

Steve P

15. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

What is your expectation of payments being guaranteed? As secure as yields from a bank account or as secure as the NI distributions? Neither is guaranteed, but I think I get what you mean.

In any case, fixed-interest securities issued by an entity with a lower rating than a bank will generally out-yield a bank account. There are probably quite a handful with *guaranteed* yields over 10%.

Coupons in Australia are generally paid semi-annually.

Keep in mind though, even the most risk-free instruments can wipe your capital; Russia circa late 90s, Yugoslavia recently, plus others. Of course Australia is in a different league, but this underpins the reality of default risk.

16. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Was Westpoint touted as guaranteed?

17. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

If you send me $100,000 I will give you a guaranteed 10% every month, as long as you tell friends about it, then they tell friends about it, then they tell friends about it, etc etc.
    At some point (when I have a few million in my account) I may or may not decide to fly to South America, but it would only be for a holiday and I would fully intend to come back, although I may not be able to due to poor health. Of course it may be difficult to get the money back to my "investors" because of the trouble transferring such large amounts between countries. Dont get the authorities onto me yet, trust me I will be back as soon as I can...

If there were something that guaranteed a return even at 1% above the rate that banks lend to people, we could all become very very rich quite quickly. If some banks are willing to lend to people with poor job history and bad credit history for a measly 7-8%, the chances of finding a "guaranteed" return of 10% with no risk is basically NIL, otherwise the banks would be charging 14%+ to lend.

18. Bob__

Bob__ Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good "Wattle" fund except they "guaranteed" 5 percent each month. Ask Geoffrey Dexter (at Long Bay)

Bob

19. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

Ahaa... and this was the point of the post. Any "guarantees" are only as good as the underlying entity. There have been numerous examples of guaranteed returns (anyone remember Estate Mortgage?) throughout history; only problem was that the guarantee disappeared as soon as the company did. iiinvestor has mentioned the very real concerns of sovereign risks, particularly in communist countries.

Everything in life has risks ranging from miniscule through to massive. Our job in the investment world is to balance the risk/return ratio at a level we find comfortable. I do a similar thing everyday in the health world when discussing possible surgical outcomes with my patients (I am a dentist with a practice restricted to oral surgery and IV sedation). The benefits of any proposed surgery have to outweigh the possible risks (nerve damage, bleeding, infection etc). In other words, we balance the risks/benefits ratio.

Back to the investment world. After hearing the risks and attempting to understand the particular investment, we then weigh this up and decide if it is suitable for our particular situation; this is what a large proportion of this particular thread has been about. Some are comfortable with certain funds, some aren't. That's how it will always be. There is no universal investment that satisfies everyone's needs.

Cheers,

Steve P

20. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Michael, please let us know how you go with the ML rate negotiation. Every dollar counts !