Managed Funds Navra Unit Price Confusion.

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by 24724, 13th Oct, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Hello, all,
    Perhaps someone can steer me in the right direction, because at the moment I am totally confused.
    According to the Navra site, the latest Application Price is 1.0919, and the Redeem Price is 1.0887. When I log onto InvestorServe, it shows my Unit Price at 1.0814. And the latest statement from Leverage Equities shows a price of 1.083.
    Knowing the number of units, what figure do I use to calculate the correct current value of my portfolio?
    Any assistance greatly appreciated.
    Jayar

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Leveraged Equities only update their figures once a week or so - 1.083 was the redemption price as of 7th Oct.

NavraInvest usually update their website around midday each day with the previous days figures - but that didn't happen yesterday, so the current figure on NavraInvest 1.0887, is as of the 10th Oct.

InvestorServe are the most accurate I think. The unit price there is usually updated daily ... although I can't verify that (a call to NavraInvest would confirm it for you), I would think that the price on InvestorServe, 1.0814 would be the redemption price as of yesterday ?

I suggest you use InvestorServe if you want a figure as of today - but I must warn you that tracking the value of your portfolio daily is a sign of addiction (like me) :D

3. Tom&Don

Tom&Don Active Member

You grow out of it.

Then you start playing with shares.

Then you start trading.

Then you start plotting darvas boxes. And count back lines. And multiple moving avergaes and crossovers and macd's.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh make it stop

4. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Sim,

What's the application price as of today? I'm not currently a share holder but expect LE have sent their documentation to NavraInvest today so they should be buying me in today or tomorrow at the latest.

Would be interested in what its going to cost me per unit given the recent volatility of the ASX200. (Its down almost another percent this morning on opening, could be in for a bumpy ride).

Cheers,
    Michael.

5. Simon Hampel

InvestorServe doesn't quote application prices. It may even be quoting real unit prices rather than redemption prices.

Don't know sorry. If your application gets processed tomorrow you should do okay assuming the market continues to drop today.

Then again, considering you are going to be investing for the recommended 5 years+ (aren't you ? :p ) then there won't be any point in losing sleep over the micro-timing of the investment - right ? :D

6. MichaelW

Sim,

Quite right! :D

But as Steve described it to me earlier this week, it is like Dollar Cost Trading the Dollar Cost Trading fund. :p You know, "buy when it falls"...

Cheers,
    Michael.

7. Simon Hampel

Seriously though (I know you're not that serious, but I think it's a point that needs to be made), you can only effectively "trade" something when you have timely control over when the purchases and sales actually happen. Since you have little control over exactly when the unit purchase goes through, I wouldn't even bother trying to "micro" time it.

By micro - I mean trying to choose the exact day that the purchase goes through.

Macro timing is fine if you want to do it that way - look at the unit price of the fund and time your entry (or additional investment) when the unit price is lower (during a market downswing for example), and buy in at some point then, but without watching the unit price on a daily basis riding the emotional roller coaster as you see the unit price rise and fall!

8. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

I agree that navra'ing navra is a good strategy, but the problem is that you have a relatively blunt tool to do it with, particularly if you're using a margin loan. The time delay seems to be several days to a week until your funds are employed.

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

You grow out of it.

Then you start playing with shares.

Then you start trading.

Then you start plotting darvas boxes. And count back lines. And multiple moving avergaes and crossovers and macd's.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh make it stop

And when you are fully grown you will use only trend lines and patterns.
    :cool:

10. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"Macro timing is fine if you want to do it that way - look at the unit price of the fund and time your entry (or additional investment) when the unit price is lower (during a market downswing for example), and buy in at some point then, but without watching the unit price on a daily basis riding the emotional roller coaster as you see the unit price rise and fall!"

Sim,

Fully agree !!.

PS
    I guess that some members are talking about " bottom fishing " - which is an obsession of the most novice traders.
    After all, entry is not as important as exit is.

:cool:

11. MichaelW

Sim, Tropo and others,

Yeah only concerned with macro timing my initial buy-in. Not worried about it after that. With the ASX200 down 1.5% today this can have real ramifications. I know the fund "trades" so should not mirror this fall, but with over half of the fund in shares and buying on the way down, there is definately some downward pressure on Navra unit prices when the market's headed south.

So, if the unit price for Nav Retail is off 1% today based on the market coming off 1.5%, then if I'm investing $1M for example then this is a $10K impact by delaying my buy for one day and getting the reduced unit price.

Will probably work out that way for me anyway as I think LE said the documents would be with NavraInvest tomorrow! :D

I'd rather have that $10K than not...

Cheers,
    Michael.

12. Simon Hampel

Of course with such a large amount being invested, you could always stagger it over a couple of weeks so that you don't lose out completely if the market drops another 2% the day after. Of course it could also bounce back 5% in between your investment.

Ahh - market timing - what a fun game (not!)

13. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Michael,

It's pretty much out of your control. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

14. MichaelW

Glebe,

Precisely the action I'm taking now. :) The market's off enough now anyway that I've avoided some of the drop so have limited my downside a bit. Will probably be in today at whatever unit price it closed at yesterday.

Then I'll REALLY enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
    Michael.